Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FOUND! 1992 Loyale. OAKLAND Ca

Sorry to hear about your luck man. F'n dirtbags. 

I have personally felt your pain my beloved 92 legacy was stolen right in front of my bros house the night i happened to be visiting...

The L bodies are stolen by kids for a joyride or someone too lazy to walk across town for a sack and spends all their money getting high so can't afford their own subaru.

She won't get stripped, anyone who truly wrenches on these cars can probably find all the parts they need for change in the sofa and are too good of dudes to steal or take parts off of one of their own.

And dudes that don't know about em can't drive them so in a few days she'll be sitting in a parking lot missing home.

The hidden star of Pleiades is watching her now, you'll get her back.

My 92 leggo found her way home after 3 days

Edited by sparkyboy

FOUND! Self recovery from the crack heads that were driving it around Oakland.  No damage beside stereo to torn apart and the smell of crack head...  

Having a gps locator onboard was the saving grace. 

Thanks for all the support USMB!

Im adding in a secret ignition kill switch.

FYI -I’m pretty sure my ignition lock is so old. any worn down Subaru “skeleton” key  would have work. Doesn’t look like they hot wire bypassed..  we won’t discuss that to much online but you may want to check it out for yourself. 

Luke

770EEE58-1DD1-4E1A-9022-11EF9A23F7F5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like Len's Club idea - it basically tells someone to keep moving along and look for another target. Yeah, I know they aren't 'perfect' and they can be defeated - but, criminals are lazy - too easy to find an easier target. Anything visible from the outside keeps them from even trying a door. Maybe print-up a fake parking violation to put under the wiper - knuckle-heads might think a cop or tow truck is in the area.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah Ok @carfreak85 here’s the story,  @1 Lucky Texan Yes. 

I have a Metromile  pay per mile insurance that calculates the miles I drive via GPS tracking.  And theres a nifty map of where my car is parked. mostly designed to prevent street sweeping tickets in SF. they send me a text when I have parked in street sweeping zones.

So as soon as I realize it had been taken.  I went to where the car was last parked. First image 11:41 Chapman to market 11:56pm. When it was stolen from me and driven to a dark sketchy zone in Oakland under the 880.  Humorously, about a 10 min walk from Oakland police department.    It was not there , I drove the entire area and decided it was either long gone, or must have been stashed somewhere off the steet.  I think possibly at one of the storage lots under the 880. I did not receive single from GPS for next 24hours. So they didn’t drive it at first after stealing it. I was watching the map all day Wednesday hoping to get a signal. Then Thursday  at lunch it popped back up on GPS! A couple friends and I drove West Oakland following GPS about five minutes behind... We were on the phone with Oakland PD trying to get more eyes looking for it.  

Let me first say this. Oakland PD have a rough rump roast job, and better things to do than find a 26 year old Subaru. I get it. I’ve lived here 10 years and seen the stuff they have to deal with needless to say it would be a hard place to be a police officer. I mean no disrespect to law enforcement. But in this situation they were absolutely no help and a huge waste of my time. The do not follow/ do not chase policy, means they are pretty much unable to get involved unless the vehicle is stopped and parked. But to do that they would actually have to be looking for it.  They actually called me to say “we saw your car but it drove away”  At that point I realized it was pretty much up to me to retrieve vehicle. Decided to go back to the location they had taken if first it the night it was stolen. There it was parked. I jumped out of the 92 Legacy SS and drove the Loyale home. 

There was a crack pipe and .5 g of rock in my center console. Sucks for them. 

Everything I owned, info, records and proof of registration and insurance. Keys to my steering lock (that was that was on floor) had all been ditched. Maybe a spare key... I can’t remember... Dash was torn apart but they didn’t unplug the gps!  

Besides the other unwanted trash, crack pipes and stash, and smell of crack head left in the car. They did leave this guy DROWZEE Pokémon card. Im not a big fan of car names but I caught this one and it’s sticking!

Welcome home Subie DROWZEE wagon. 

I’ll tell you what Ive never cleaned it so well and going to switch all cloth seats to leather as soon as i see a good set at the pick n pull. Getting something you care about back makes you want to make it better! So DROWZEE is going to get sleepier! It’s 2.2 ej swap time. If anyone has swap parts or a 90-94 2.2l ej or anything you’d like to see used on this wagon,

in Bay Area or Colorado area I’m looking For upgrades! 

Thanks again! 

Luke

384A0D46-E5BB-4306-93A1-818AAF29FA17.jpeg

2CC4150E-ED88-4979-9859-7324E0A96C11.jpeg

080E5BE8-7D77-47AF-9F44-6C33894B90E2.jpeg

1C4DEAF5-0C86-4020-ABDA-85C921899D13.jpeg

937936CC-11DC-470A-A407-5D98D11A7B46.jpeg

08A34DF8-0492-4DCD-8240-B8C77F4FE89D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

GREAT NEWS !

A visible steering lock has been said to be a 90% deterrent for random theft

Did you tell us it had GPS tracking in first post?

I have a GPS tracking unit from China for precisely the purpose of tracking via the website provided . 

When I come to install it I will take note to ensure it is powered up 24/7 and not just when ignition is powered up

I have checked out the website - looks legit.

Cost just A$25 and only needs 30mb data per month. Was intending to fit it up to my pushbike :)

That’s awesome news! 

Time to fit a taser into the seat for anyone not authorised to drive the vehicle. Or an air horn and strobe light for maximum sensory overload ;) 

I’m really stoked for you getting your ride back! 

So, did you ditch the crack, smoke (dumb idea!) or sell it?? I vote ditched it. 

Cheers 

Bennie

This is making me think about adding a kill switch to mine.  For a long while, I figured no one would steal these old cars....  But now, they are easy compared to modern ones, so, things are different.

Edited by DaveT

Glad to read that your Subie is back at home.

I always used a Club bar in all my cars, since the 1990's

Here things are even worse, and the Club bar really works as 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

9 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I like Len's Club idea - it basically tells someone to keep moving along and look for another target. Yeah, I know they aren't 'perfect' and they can be defeated - but, criminals are lazy - too easy to find an easier target. Anything visible from the outside keeps them from even trying a door. ...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coolhandluke said:

FYI -I’m pretty sure my ignition lock is so old. any worn down Subaru “skeleton” key  would have work. Doesn’t look like they hot wire bypassed..  we won’t discuss that to much online but you may want to check it out for yourself. 

Yeah, it's  known issue.

Good to hear! I knew you were gonna find it in one piece the crackheads in California love to take cars for joyrides.

My friend is actually parting out his Loyale in Sacramento. He’s the guys number i sent you a while back in Elk Grove. He has a ea/ej adapter plate and a hacked harness for a 2.5. Let me know i’ll be at his place until monday and we can pull the parts for ya

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1