Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thought i was done, but alas, clunk/pops

95 legacy

Its only when im going over curbs or something. Pot holes do it if im going slow.

Alrdy changed tie rods and ball joints.

When i break nornal its fine, but like if i kinda hit the brakes hard, its more like i feel the clunk than hear it... The noises from the curbs are heard not felt.

Im leaning toward a control arm bushing? If thats what it is i just dgaf anymore. I need to get home. 

Trying to do hard turns and violent back and forths do nothing accept feel and sound normal.

Cant make noise on my own. Im not fat enough

some of the complaint does seem like a bushing on a lower control arm - but some of it seems like it could be sway bar mount or endlink related????

a 95 could have a lot of rubber parts needing help; engine mounts, trans mounts, rear diff mount bushings.....

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I just think its odd that its coming after ive done a lot of work in the area. Tie rods, rack and pin, ball joint, and just yesterday the whole knuckle assy to do wheel bearing. And even then after i drove it after the bearing was finished it was great. Idk...

If its sway bar link on bushing im probably over it long enough to get home... But i just dont want to go through and it be the tie and ball joint again, i mean i just changed them and solved those pops and chunks.

sounds like it is suspension related...

inspect the coil springs carefully - possibly a broken coil?

95 is a good one for breaking the sway bar end links - the 95 I had had a broken one when i got it.

the only other thing i can even remotely suggest would be the top hat bearing going out. the problem there is you have to pull the strut assembly out and disassemble to verify :unsure:

1 hour ago, heartless said:

sounds like it is suspension related...

inspect the coil springs carefully - possibly a broken coil?

95 is a good one for breaking the sway bar end links - the 95 I had had a broken one when i got it.

the only other thing i can even remotely suggest would be the top hat bearing going out. the problem there is you have to pull the strut assembly out and disassemble to verify :unsure:

Well none of those sound to terrible really. Just for an uncomfortable ride on my back and tires...

So far the worst thing im noticing is my tire isnt in alignment... Steering is still responsive and solid...

But i was also guessing something with the strut/coil/top hat as i was really feeling it out on the highway.

If it’s a dull clunking sound - and heard on “smooth” roads with tiny bumps or undulations in the road surface, it’ll be your struts that have worn. 

If it’s an easily audible clunking sound do as Lucky Texan said and re-check the work you’ve done. 

Cheers 

Bennie

My 99 outback did just what you described.

It was the rear sway bar link for me the plastic connector on the end. 

My dad borrowed her for a few days and told me later that he and his friend overloaded her with paving bricks several times. 

Freakin jerks, my pops friend has a sorry post 96 subaru, but is a super tight wad about his 05 turdbo outback "xt". That poor bloated car is so heavy she is slower than my n/a 86 gl (ej22) ;)

I'm a REAL xt owner, first year! If anyone wonders about the air quotes. dunno why he is like that about his rides, he is a complete pot smoking laid back hippie otherwise, long hair and all!

He musta known the load capacity and said his car was being borrowed or broken lol!

Edited by sparkyboy