Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scoobs from Spain

Three scoob family, now looking for a model non-specific forum.

Willing to share experiences, maintenane tips etc.

Have rebuilt engines, suspension, diffs, clutches in my off grid workshop with no mains power!

love my 1990s Subarus!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Working on old school subarus off grid is real life movie s**t.

Skynet nor aliens (govt?) would be of any concern!

I love subarus, for me its 80s bodies with factory turbo or ej22 or nothing at all. Not even a loyale!

One exception: first gen legacy

cheers man, welcome to the forum you guys seem like cool cats

My subes:

86 gl w/ej22

85 xt turbo getting ej22t

88 gl getting ej22(t?)

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I dig my Scoobs with no alarms, no bells, and the most advanced part on all three is the Legacy’s remote door lock which only works at arm’s-length distance from the car! (If the angle is right and the glass is not to dirty)

Here is the trio; Vivio and Forester in the queue for oil and filters

56BB3A6B-51B8-4C14-9586-F0EFC45211F7.jpeg.1b9d0d45ba8af48b1883b61f06977317.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mitchy said:

Just need to find a decent roof rack for the Legacy’s naked roof, no fix points, no rails!

Do you need a roof rack to attach mountain bikes or skis/snowboards to?

Here in the US nearly all of the subarus have a rack, (except sports cars like brz and xt:P) so seeing one "rack delete" is a treat!

On the 80s bods at least, they are just sheet metal screws with rubber gaskets to keep rain out.

My two gls for comparison on typical roof and rack delete!

86 gl w/ej22 "chilly"1002657014_samsungshit313.thumb.jpg.f6f146d2d8d74c85d7def6b2e6427a43.jpg

88 gl waiting for ej22 "skye"

Resized_20190202_151903.jpeg

The 88 was either a stripped down model, (no rear spoiler either!!!) or someone took that stuff and did a bonny job filling the holes in.

I love that vivio man, that one is not sold here!

cheers man, in my opinion the legacy only looks naked next to your other cool subes with racks!

Edited by sparkyboy

Hola

Thanks, the Vivio is hilarious, it gets ‘grunty’ from 4500rpm up to 8000, but too noisy for daily use I have discovered...Then in the wet you can engage the 4WD (button on gearstick) at any speed entering an impossible curve and leave everyone wondering how the ‘h’ you did that.

But it encourages bad behaviour.

I like a roof rack on my cars, the Vivio has no roof option so I drilled and fitted some cut-down VW Passat wagon rails. The Leggy may get similar treatment- shame- that naked roof is immaculate! 

With the bars it makes a good sturdy rack.

so far the annual Tech inspection has not noticed the DIY job. They’re really really strict with ANY non homologated mods in Spain. I find that cleaning my cars top and bottom and inside and outside blinds the inspectors to any ‘naughty behaviour’.

Cars are generally not well maintained here, so a well maintained ‘exotic’ (hardly any Subarus on my island) is a break from the norm, and the inspectors appreciate it!

The roof bars are for Kayak and ‘off grid’ things like solar panels, wood, scaffold towers and the like, though I try to use the beaten Forester for that sort of thing!

Here’s the Vivio taking a break in Gibraltar after a long long drive;

16BFFCCB-B128-4929-B185-BA3B0EC55794.thumb.jpeg.6481b8a28bceb52a466c3ce8e15963fc.jpeg

Edited by Mitchy
  • Thanks 1