Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy II 2.2i, (BD) sedan, 1997

Mitchy

The Forester has a single dash holder, one in the top of the centre armrest/stash, and two fold-outs in the rear of the centre console. Plus a million little hatches and hidy-holes.

The Legacy is weird and just has the centre console stash. 

There was a blanking plate in the dash centre, where the (EU optional?) double cupholder should be. As can be seen, I have remedied this oversight.

I do not care about the rear cupholders, three young kids, -less to break!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On my way back from work yesterday I stopped at a station for refreshment and to top up my screen squirter bottle.

I noticed an ever so slight smell of coolant which always puts me on alert.

First I looked at was the slightly soft upper rad hose area, and hey presto, there was little dry patch of whitish deposit on the  belt cover. The hose had finally begun to perish externally and had a teeny weeny split.

It wasn’t actually leaking with the engine idling, strangely enough, though I could feel the spot where the split was with my finger.

I bit the bullet and steadily head homeward, some 20 miles, watching the temp gauge all the while.

No harm done, and with no noticeable coolant loss, letting it all cool down I did a quick nighttime change with the lovely new expensive genuine hose I bought just last week...

Seems just fine now.

new and old

romantic evening in

Edited by Mitchy

• 1 month later...

Testing the Forester’s 15x6 steelies with the standard Yokohama Geolandar 205/70 R15.

This is with the 1.5” strut spacers, awaiting arrival and fitting of KYB Legacy Outback struts....

If the authorities allow this setup, I shall be fitting a set of Geolandar G015 A/T on the original Legacy alloys.

Cannot fit much more rubber under there.

I have to take precise suspension clearance measurements because these steelies have 48 offset and the Leggy alloys have 55.

I also have the opcion of some 15x7 alloys for the Forester (offset 48) but I am not certain whether I want to stretch the tire over that extra inch....

Edited by Mitchy

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Said no one ever! :D 

Looks good mate! *almost* makes me want to do a lifted sedan. But I’m a wagon boy at heart (or ute, either way!). 

Cheers 

Bennie

.....But they’re 5-spoke alloy-disguised steelies. 48 offset compared to 55. Perfect for off-road, ding repairs etc

And they remind me of slot-mags!

I took the original 7” alloys off the Forester and replaced them with these! Yup I’m a freak.

I might keep em on and put those alloys back in the Forry. Or just keep playing until missis says ‘enough!’

Its starting to get taller, especially viewed from the rear! I haven’t even put the Outback struts in yet, so will be taller still...Now for the roof rack and some front bumper mods and we’re all set. Oh, and timing belt, water pump, oil change due, ARB spacers, lower BJs . . .

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished the belt, idler, water pump service.

What are the odds of taking off the belt covers and finding the belt and crank perfectly located for a belt service. This car was ready for its new belt!

The cams pullies were off by 1/2...

Edited by Mitchy
  • Haha 1

I replaced the still good-looking Dayco belt (with only 30,000 mi but 8 years old) with the genuine OE Unitta part.

New SKF idlers including the tensioner idler replace the 22 y. o. Koyo originals, by now dry-spinning and an ever-so-slight waggle to them, Aisin water pump, genuine thermostat (quite expensive, but looking at the original one which still seems ok still I can be happy that it will last ‘forever’), new genuine cam/crank oil seals (crank was seeping), oil pump inspection/service, new oil/coolant etc...

Edited by Mitchy

Love to see those new bits in- here’s to another 100,000 kms:

I got worried cranking it over, - the starter sounded strained and it was reluctant to fire, but then she took and purrs like a kitten!

Edited by Mitchy

• 2 weeks later...

Next to go in:

Legacy Outback KYBs all round, Forester rear sway bar brackets and new strut bump stops.

Should be in for new-year..

And then I’ll be buying a set of Yokohama G015’s.

Edited by Mitchy
  • Like 1

7CC7944B-6C26-4828-9AEB-5B7BD9738E61.jpeg.c2aef6ab679740f6037768622121e0ed.jpegSniff!

On my way to work this evening I hit a damp patch a tad fast on my favourite bit of road... tail went light and i got sucked into a stone wall.

The rear right fender is toast, along with the bits which hold the wheel on.

I’m pretty sure that I will not be fixing this!

I’m presently sitting on the tow truck on my way home, remains of The legacy sitting behind me.

I am looking at a 200,000 mile 1991 2.2 4WD station wagon as the replacement...

what can I salvage from my once beautiful 2.2i 4wd?

obviously the motor is a likely candidate to put in the 1991 car. 

That sucks mate! 

Just about everything will be interchangable between the two vehicles, other than rear panels etc. With the rear struts I think there is a difference with these but I think it’s the top hat and spring rate. 

You’ll love the wagon! 

Glad you were ok. Not fun, but everyone is safe, that’s the main thing. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bennie

I’m sad for the car, it was so clean and low kms plus all the little things I had done.

Any how, Lesson learnt, no real damage done, and now I have a ton of spares. Plus I really need a wagon more than a sedan. 
Stay positive!