Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 DOHC to with EGR, 2.2 swap not EGR

Doing the swap for a friend in Wisconsin.  2.5 DOHC to with EGR, 2.2 swap not EGR  99 Outback Sedan.  I know the Check Engine Light will be on.  The questions is will there be any negative impacts on the engine?

Thanks,

Larry

All good - Just drop it in and run it.  you’ll get a check engine light for EGR stuff, but they run perfectly fine and great gas mileage. 

You can move some vacuum lines around to supply the EGR with vacuum, I think that’s how it goes,to get rid of the check engine lights if you need too. 

not any real negative impacts at all.

If you have a 2.2 manifold with an EGR it is possible to "trick" the system by routing clean air from the air intake to the EGR port on the manifold.

If your 2.2 has a non EGR manifold just plug and play and ignore the CEL.

HOWEVER,  Many counties in Wisconsin have Tailpipe tests and won't even test if the CEL is on.  Make sure your friend lives in a county that doesn't test.  OR  Get him to test and fail twice, then write a receipt for over $800 spent trying to "fix it".  After that it can have an exemption.

• Thanks 1

Engine dropped in today.  Runs great, with CEL.  I have 2.2 intakes with an EGR in CO.  I've pulled air from the IAC hose before.  A quick trip to ACE, PVC Tee fitting and a fitting to reduce to the EGR line dia.  Cut the EGR pipe, use an extra Brake Booster line to run it to the IAC hose.  Works great.  Down the road.  Time to get back to CO and do house work.

Thanks

Larry

• Like 2

Yep all except for the 10mm socket that dropped under the flex plate between the engine and the flex plate.  Of course we found out about it once the engine was in and we were bolting up the TC.  We could feel is and move it with a coat hanger, but had to pull it half way to get it out.  Pulled the engine FWD enough to put a large magnet on the flex plate which grabbed the socket so we could rotate it up from the bottom.  A second magnet pulled it out of the hole.  To many cooks in the kitchen and to many tools out and about.  Never happens when I do the job myself.  Help is nice, most of the time.

• Haha 1