Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any mech recommendation Southern OR

I have customers that travel here (Portland) from Medford. I don't know of anyone in that area that really knows EA's. It's a dying art working on the old stuff. Fortunately I have a couple tech's in addition to myself that have considerable experience with them. Parts availability is the biggest issue but I know all the sources and can usually get myself out of most jams..... unless you need an oil pump. Then you're just hosed. 

I have customers in Medford, Seattle, and even Lake Tahoe. Other than the drive time it's usually cheaper in the long run to have it done right that to have it done twice. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

It’s probably something simple. Either timing or carb. I just don’t have enough knowledge. 

I bought a timing light but I don’t see a gauge or tab or whatever near the harmonic balancer, so I don’t know where to go from there. 

I also have a spare hitachi carb that I could send to you for a rebuild at least so that’s good to know. 

I’ll find your business details and ask about that. 

I can't tell from that angle....
The marks are on the face of the flywheel that faces toward the front of the car.  There should be a V [but with one edge vertical]  in the opening revealed by removing the rubber plug.  That vertical edge is the mark.  The degrees and zero are embossed on the flywheel.

Depending on the type of engine and fuel delivery, there may be wires or hoses to plug / unplug / connect. to set or check timing.