Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Subaru GL Flapping Noise. Struts?

I have a flapping noise that mostly sounds like it's coming from the front right wheel well or at least from the front passenger side somewhere. It starts at just under 15mph and becomes more pronounced as I'm accelerating uphill but then disappears at about 20mph. It also does it when I turn either way at those speeds even on flat ground and I can sometimes feel a vibration through the floor. I've been under the front end many times trying to find something loose but can't find anything. I've tried wiggling the steering rack, I've lifted the wheel from under the ball joint but everything seems tight. It flaps about twice a second and sounds like there's something wrapped around the CV axle hitting the underside of the car but there's nothing there. I don't know if it stops at about 20mph or I just can't hear it over the rising engine RPM's. I'd think that it would intensify as the RPM's increase but it doesn't. It drives fine and steers fine with no wobble in the tires telegraphing to the steering wheel and no shimmy. I am starting to get a lot of bouncing from the front end and I can feel and see that in the steering wheel. I'm sure I really need front struts, which is the other thing. I can't find front struts for a 4WD GL wagon. I remember reading somewhere in these forums, 'Bumblebeast' using Toyota struts but I don't remember what year Toyota it was or if he even said. I've read that the fwd struts will work but that it lowers the front end about 2". Don't want that.1344492460_WileyCoyote.jpg.aed6cfcce66b704c909bb572ba462006.jpg

Sounds about the right tempo for a failing CVJ.  Is this a new to you car, or did the noise recently develop?

Failing CVJs can make a variety of noises and sensations, come and go with wheel RPM, sometimes hard turning / steering angle - depending on how far gone they are.  Are they OEM, or aftermarket?  On OEM ones, the outer shells are painted dark green.

If the big nut that holds the axle to the hub is loose, it can cause varying noises also.

They're after market. I don't think it's the CV axles 'cause I replaced them not all that long ago. But they clicked, not flapped, and only clicked when turning, not when going straight so I'm thinking it's got to be something else. I posted this awhile back but got no response so I thought I'd try again. I don't remember when I first noticed it but it's been going on for awhile. It must not be too common a problem. If I can find some struts I'll redo the bearings and axles too. You may be right.

Edited by 3crows

Removed the front wheels one at a time, and check the tightness of the bolts that hold the disc brake disc on.  If that doesn't help then jack up both sides of the front of the car so both front wheels are off the ground and the rear wheels are tightly blocked in place.  With the tranny in 2WD, then engage the front wheels in whatever gear you have been hearing the problem.  Then have someone else listen for where your sound is coming from.  Or you could have someone else sit in the drivers seat and be ready to apply brakes or to give is some gas to try and pinpoint the issue.

17 hours ago, 3crows said:

I have a flapping noise that mostly sounds like it's coming from the front right wheel well or at least from the front passenger side somewhere.

Noises can be tricky and sound like they're coming from one area and actually be from a different place.

Flapping noise is often a belt or other rubber item.  I would check all belts to make sure they are not failing.  Also check boots on axles for any tears or grease splatters from the boots which indicates a break.

• Like 1

Does the noise vary with engine rpm or ground speed? 

Exhaust leaks vary with rpm and throttle - heavy makes it louder.  

Other general thing, new after market axles often make noise out of the box, or in very short time frames, from many experiences I have read on here.  But it is usually ticking /clicking noise.

I've called several parts places for front struts for this guy but all they have is fwd struts. Will they work in a 4wd GL wagon? I think Subaru has them but the price I saw online was $120 each. OUCH!!!!!!

I'm going to check the belts and boots but they're all less than a year old. I'll also check for exhaust header gasket leak. The last time I posted these questions on the forum I mentioned maybe a broken motor mount.

FWD struts will be a little lower ride height.  Maybe an inch.

I've been driving these since 1988, never had a broken motor mount, so I don't know what kind of noise that would cause if any.

Open the hood.  Start it.  Stomp the brakes down hard.  Put it in gear, apply moderate gas pedal, watch the engine.  If one is broken, it will move considerably, should make a noise when it hits stops.   At least that is what I saw decades ago on a big ol' American car with a broken mount.

• Like 1

Is there any noise or vibration at highway speeds? I once had similar symptoms, except for the turning noise. But a bit of a vibration

So i tightened up the motor mounts and it went away for sone time. Then it came back so i had another look and the rubber was worn out and separating so i replaced that and no worries now. 

Does sound like struts or sway bar link or something like that in your case.

Happy wrenching!  Let us know the diagnosis and outcome 

The quandary. If it was an exhaust leak from a blown exhaust header gasket, wouldn't it get louder when I accelerate? Somewhere in my aged memory banks I can vaguely remember a blown exhaust header gasket but I think it made a put put sound rather than a flapping sound. I get the vibration and flapping when I accelerate going uphill on my driveway road and I step down on the accelerator. It's not all that steep and I'm still only going around 15 mph. Once I get over 20 mph I can't feel any more vibration or hear any more flapping. The reason I was thinking about a broken motor mount was because in my younger days I rode BMW motorcycles and when you rev them standing still you get an anti clockwise torque which you don't get when you're riding and might be the cause of the flapping and vibration at low speed under pressure. It also handles fine at regular speeds between, say, 25 and 75 mph. I get no vibrations or shimmy in the steering and there's no uneven wear on the tires, just the bouncing from the dead shocks in the front struts. I bought an '87' last year and on the way home I couldn't drive over 45 mph on the freeway because the front end was shimmying and vibrating so badly. When I got home I found that the axle nuts were only on hand tight. I destroyed the 2 front tires. The steel belting was showing in several places. The front end on this guy seems tight. There's no slop in the steering and it tracks fine. The only thing that I'm reasonably sure of is that the front struts are had it. And it looks like I've got no other choice but to replace them with fwd struts. When I get into that I my find out more.

Had to comment just in case you unable to differentiate between a put out sound and flapping sound :)

yeah more load on engine those gaskets make more put out sound. 

I agree with you it is best to eliminate what you know to be wrong by fixing it but guess you will also lower it. My AWD XT has fwd front struts and sits just on the factory minimum measure from bolt centre of lower control arm inner bush to ground - if that helps. Think the coils are still off EA82 wagon 4wd so maybe if you can reuse your coils with fwd struts maybe not such a bad compromise?

it is tarmac warrior so no off road clearances for me to worry about though mind you

Edited by Steptoe

• 3 weeks later...

Well, whoda thunk! I took my 'new to me' '87' out for a spin, (aye, the one with the wobbly front wheels that I fixed) and found that it made a similar sound as the'86'. I replaced the axles and struts in it and one or both solved the problem. I just got another set of axles and I'm waiting for new struts and I'll go to work on the '86'. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Well, if anyone is still following this thread, it's June 1, 2023 and one of my replaced front struts is 'Had it', I think. When driving at freeway speed the car jumps to the right when I hit a divit or rough spot on the road and replacement struts are no longer available. This will be my last Subaru if I can no longer get the parts I need. Sad. Fare thee well USMB.