Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 2 months later...

No, don't have any pics. They're just old rigs. They're not too 'pretty', just 'plain Jane's' with a few dings an wows. But I do have an aversion to rust. I'm a utilitarian kind of guy mostly. My main concern is how they run. The mechanics and reliability are what is important to me. If I can't fix it I can't own it. That's why they're all carbureted and no computers. I used to ride BMW Motorcycles so the boxer Subaru engine was a major draw plus the 4wd that you don't need a ladder to get into your friggin' rig was appealing. I'm not real happy with the Weber carbs I have on 2 of them. They are hard starting SOB's whereas the '87' with the Hitachi starts fine every time in all weather. Thinking now I should have left them stock but got sucked in by the Weber hype. I have gotten lots of help from these forums and I really appreciate that members are willing to offer advise to us less experienced.

• Like 4

We still love pics! Mine are nuggets too - “good from afar, but far from good”! 

lbPtHF.jpg 

^ I’ve had Ruby Scoo for well over ten years, I think I’m coming up on fifteen years. She’s got a computer but that’s never given me any trouble and I love the reliability, power and “starts every time” factor that came with the ECU and EJ22. 

Mid you’re willing, I’m keen to see pics of yours, as I’m sure others are (or start a thread in the members rides subforum).

Cheers

Bennie 

• Like 1

I'll try to get some pics up this week. One of the things that saddens me about these guys is that it keeps getting harder to find parts. Back in the old days there were always several old Soob's at one of the You-Pull-it yards. Now they send me emails for 25%, 40% and 50% off parts but they don't have any Subaru's of my DL/GL vintage.

• Like 1

before i first started driving i used to go to the junkyard with my dads friends around 2005-2008, i remember seeing a few first gen subarus, a few more second gens and a whole bunch of 3rd gens.. like 4-6 at one time. now only about one 3rd gen comes in every 2 years.

pretty sad...

Edited by Subasaurus

BMW bikes and old Subarus. And you dislike the Weber too. I need to buy you a beer sometime.

Enjoy ! 

Up here all the old true vintage Subarus are long gone with barely any exception. There’s a few folks up here with them but not many.

Yes , parts have become scarce. Some good old hoarders , myself slightly included , with used parts. And a few of us were smart and ambitious enough to check old dealers etc and have some new old stock as well.