Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Almost no stopping power 87 GL

1 hour ago, ontherun987 said:

I have to go almost to the floor. My brake booster vacuum line has a couple of good cracks in it. Is this the cause of almost no stopping power?

When you go to replace that vacuum booster line, be sure to save the check valve inserted in hose near booster. Put it in same place in new hose.

Feel the hose for a hard lump - you'll find it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, czny said:

When you go to replace that vacuum booster line, be sure to save the check valve inserted in hose near booster. Put it in same place in new hose.

Feel the hose for a hard lump - you'll find it.

Do I just cut it out and force it into the new hose?

3 minutes ago, 88SubGL said:

Are you losing brake fluid? If so, it may be a bad wheel cylinder. If not, check your brake pads and shoes for wear. Or possibly the rear shoes need adjusted.

Nope the reservoir is full and I haven't seen and leaks in the drive way? I will check the pads tomorrow.

3 hours ago, ontherun987 said:

Do I just cut it out and force it into the new hose?

Yes, just cut it out, lube new hose end with some silicone spray & insert it to same depth.

Check that it relieves out away from booster first by blowing through it. 

Don't want to put it in backward & again have no boost.

Edited by czny

The question you ask on vacuum hose worries me you should not be trusting yourself just yet on this safety issue.

When replacing that hose if not with automotive part and just hose from the roll ask for vacuum hose so it will transfer the vacuum and not suck in on itself

If swapping that inserted check valve practice mouth suck and blow on each end of dud hose and take notes and mark it. If you insert check valve in new hose wrong way things won't work

Does check valve work in existing hose? Or is it your problem?

Got oil on the brakes? 

It could be a good idea to hit them with some brake cleaner - but make sure it’s specifically for brake cleaning. You don’t want any residual left after you’ve done the work. 

Otherwise you’ve got some old rubber hoses that need replacing. These are most likely expanding. A visual inspection of all rubber hoses while someone holds their foot on the brake pedal will reveal the offending line(s). It could be all of them too. 

I’d replace them as a matter of preventative maintenance with a quality part. 

Cheers 

Bennie

You likely have some air in the lines or in the master cylinder.

-Check all brakes for mechanical wear or damaged parts.

-Check all lines for any leaks

-try bleeding the lines

-try bleeding the master cylinder.

If these don't fix the problem you may have a worn master cylinder to replace.