Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T boost sensor location?

2 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

I think it's on one of the strut towers under the hood, but look in the EA81T FSM supplement, it'll show you where it is.

(You buy the black and blue turbo brat in TX?)

Yes that's the one I bought. I've tried looking for that fsm, have a link?

Stock turbo gauge pegged at max .... My EA82T series one was sort of a follow on to EA81 and did not come with a gauge - only a light on dash that would light up at about 2 psi and stay on while boosting. Gave me no idea if I was between 2 or 12. Did turbo Brats get a boost gauge with a dial and needle? Follow vacuum lines from intake manifold and you should find it

And then the bean counters came along for my GLTA !

Well the EA82T had a pair of solenoid like switches on the strut tower. One to trigger light, other for overboost ecu cut out. Wonder if you got cut out? If so vacuum must go to two devices same location with a T piece in vacuum line. Thanks for the quick pic

• Like 1

Just noticed you have wiper switch where our RHD have light switch! 

Your tacho and gauges look very much like our EA82 stuff.  Our temp gauge and fuel gauge just had lines no colour or shading

Edited by Steptoe

Hmmm... I want that turbo gauge! 

What are the other gauges on the other side of the dash? 

Our Aussie units have volts, temp, fuel level and oil pressure. And of course tacho and speedo in the middle part. 

Cheers 

Bennie

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Our Aussie units have volts, temp, fuel level and oil pressure. And of course tacho and speedo in the middle part. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Just not factory on the Brumby or non touring wagon

5 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Cheers 

Bennie

Voltage and Fuel

45 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Just not factory on the Brumby or non touring wagon

Maybe not, but can easily be retro fitted:

1004253nu4.jpg 

1004300gg0.jpg 

You might remember those pics Jono - from Sunnie the Brumby’s build. Still going strong! And the gauges are “modular” - they can be removed. Only issue then is how the wiring behind the cluster’s “motherboard” lines up. 

24 minutes ago, Datnastybrat said:

Voltage and Fuel

So you have a total of five gauges and not six as shown above? 

And I wonder what sort of switch is used to determine how much boost that loose gauge displays, it’d have to be some sort of adjustable resistance type like the oil pressure gauge setup... I think the one Jono talks about is just a switch for a light.

Cheers 

Bennie

The turbo gauge simply replaces the oil pressure gauge in a GL dash.Everything else is the same.

The sensor is a semiconducter strain gauge w/a variable voltage output.Hitachi PS 14-01.

Mine outputed slightly low voltages last time I tested it resulting in slightly low gauge readings.

Seems back to normal now,but,I have not retested.

The meter being pegged at the top seems more like a gauge than sensor issue in this case,but,maybe not.

The sensor should output between 2.162 to 2.213 volts at atmospheric pressure when powered by 13.5 volts @ 77 degrees F.

The gauge should read zero w/this voltage applied.

I used a bicycle pump and a vacuum pump to test the system at other pressures.

Ok, this is coming from my vault of second gen camaro knowledge...lemme find it. Ok here it is file 3 of 4 :P

but my fuel gauge (77 camaro) was stuck at about 1/4 turn past full no peg or it would have been so!

I checked resistance and sweep of the sending unit and all good. It turned out to be a bad ground.

Is the sensor bad? Any stinking boost sensor that is close to the resistance of your old one will work, yeah? Maybe just a wonky wire somewhere since it goes back to zero with no key?

9 hours ago, naru2 said:

The turbo gauge simply replaces the oil pressure gauge in a GL dash.Everything else is the same.

The sensor is a semiconducter strain gauge w/a variable voltage output.Hitachi PS 14-01.

Mine outputed slightly low voltages last time I tested it resulting in slightly low gauge readings.

Seems back to normal now,but,I have not retested.

The meter being pegged at the top seems more like a gauge than sensor issue in this case,but,maybe not.

The sensor should output between 2.162 to 2.213 volts at atmospheric pressure when powered by 13.5 volts @ 77 degrees F.

The gauge should read zero w/this voltage applied.

I used a bicycle pump and a vacuum pump to test the system at other pressures.

ill be conducting tests on the sensor and if that turns out ok, ill try the gauge. Really wish it was a mechanical gauge and not electric. Thank you for the input.

3 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

Ok, this is coming from my vault of second gen camaro knowledge...lemme find it. Ok here it is file 3 of 4 :P

but my fuel gauge (77 camaro) was stuck at about 1/4 turn past full no peg or it would have been so!

I checked resistance and sweep of the sending unit and all good. It turned out to be a bad ground.

Is the sensor bad? Any stinking boost sensor that is close to the resistance of your old one will work, yeah? Maybe just a wonky wire somewhere since it goes back to zero with no key?

it has an aftermarket boost gauge on the steering wheel, I don't like it. Its not wired correctly discretely and doesn't seem to be too accurate I think. I want the stock gauges to be in good working order.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, oczuk32 said:

I getting that issue on my 84 wagon turbo when the interior of the car gets hot. It works in cool interior weather. How much should you rely on the gauge to get good boost readings?

You shouldn’t. It’s there to only indicate you’re on boost. 

If you want accuracy get an aftermarket boost gauge that actually plugs into the intake manifold ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1