Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time weber start up

I just finished my weber install. it ran great for 4 minutes , then quit suddenly. I couldn't get it to start again, I thought the choke open and killed it. After playing with it for awhile checking fuel and spark, I noticed this. :banghead: Awesome more fun coming right up

11641658468468.thumb.jpg.fd04640789532e1b9b1f9569d1e392bd.jpg

What brand of timing belts should I buy, are these ok? Can I just replace the belt or do I need to do the whole set?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-85-94-1-8L-SUBARU-1800-GL-Loyale-RX-XT-NON-TUR-TURBO-TIMING-BELT-KIT-EA82T/400176384460?fits=Model%3AGL|Make%3ASubaru&epid=20003000648&hash=item5d2c5f09cc:g:fs0AAOSwEppUNE~z

Edited by ontherun987

47 minutes ago, ontherun987 said:

What brand of timing belts should I buy...

Gates original, or Subaru Original are your best bet... 

Always change both timin' belts at the same time, if one fails, the other probably soon will do the same.

Tensioners and pulleys also must be changed altogether.

Gates TCK-299 is the ideal timing Kit for the EA82...

Kind Regards.

1 hour ago, ontherun987 said:

What brand of timing belts should I buy, are these ok? Can I just replace the belt or do I need to do the whole set?

Mitsuboshi is best.  NTN, NSK or Koyo for the rollers/tensioners.  Paraut, Atsugi or other japanese make for water pump.

You need to get inside and figure why it snapped.  It's usually one of the idlers, tensioners, or the fault of excessive oil and coolant soaking from leaks.

It's possible to do the bare minimum and get back on the road.  My guess is the lower cogged roller seized.  It's the most usual suspect for an otherwise decent looking belt to break.

Full job would be Belts, Tensioners, Idler roller, Cam seals and Cam cap large O-rings,  Crank Seal.  Also Oil pump shaft seal, O-ring, and "mickey mouse" formed gasket.