Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 H6 Outback anti theft OnStar issue...HELP!

Hey guys, I am seeking some help on the wiring of my 2003 Outback with the 6 cylinder 3.0 L engine. Several months ago I was tryign to install an amp and made the mistake of clipping the 2 harnesses for the stock radio and outdated On Star system...big mistake. Since doing so the anti theft mode has been engaged with blinking lights and horn blowing. I am 99% sure that the problem is with a wire that jumped from one harness to the other, but at the time of working on it I didnt have the battery hooked up and dicovered the problem later. This has left me with a poor recall of what was going on and I really would appreciate any help seeing how there aren't many places that will even rip me off over this issue. It seems most shops wont go behind soemone that has already started screwing things up. Thanks in advance for any help to solve the problem.

Edited by OnStarHelp

Remove the Onstar controller? It’s behind the center stereo/hvac stack tucked to the passengers side I think. I’ve removed them before 2003 Outback’s. 

How do you know it was an Onstar related wire you cut? Maybe it was something else?

Are you able to disable the alarm at all, it sets again immediately?

Or, if the wiring must be intact, get an FSM and find that harness/connector that you cut and repair it to normal configuration.

Do not think the Onstar unit is tied to the stereo or the alarm.

Nothing in it's removal should have set the alarm.  I've removed several.  

If the alarm is going off, It makes me wonder why you can't turn it off by cycling the key?  Do you have a key?  Why so resistant to the idea of a shop?  Why would they refuse to look at it?

Not accusing but just wondering, is there a more obvious reason the security system is alarming?  like the car was stolen?

I knew I'd seen a similar discussion on this topic awhile ago, so I looked up the thread. Sounds like it might be the same car. Either way, no follow-up

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/494839-2003-subaru-outback-3l-h6-electrical-onstar-issue.html

I haven't had any issue by unplugging modules. My '04 had Onstar, I unplugged it all and tossed it, and everything works. My '00 had a Subaru accessory shock sensor mounted next to the radio, tossed it, security system works as it should (no shock sensing, of course, but whatever).  Ideally, you'd still have the stuff you cut out, but even without it, get the wiring diagrams (linked in the above thread), and repair what was cut, and that will probably fix your problem.

I think the issue is that there is a wire jumping from the stock head unit harness to the on star remote harness. I am not the best with schematics but I think if I wire up the harnesses again it would still continue to do the horn until connecting the two wires that wouldve been connected with the jumper. If anyone has the head unit and feels bored sometime maybe they could see what the harnesses look like and take a picture for me. I know it is a long shot and people are probably commenting on what they remember their experiences messing with the head unit and onstar, etc

Thanks for all responses 

• 2 years later...
On 5/29/2019 at 9:05 AM, kennycoulter said:

I took all of my stuff out to put in a new stereo.   I still have all of my old stuff, if you would need reference pictures.  if needed, message me, and I can send in emails, as the pictures are too large to upload here.

I was curious if you'd still be willing to share the pictures.

• 1 month later...