Ultimate Subaru Message Board

An older sister who went into assisted living a few months ago necessitates our selling a 1996 Subaru Wagon.

I got several codes at Auto Zone:  misfires on two cylinders, 301/302; Catalyst system issue, P420; also P115 Coolant circuit.  I'm getting a little red light on the air bag, not sure if that indicates a faulty unit.

I pulled the battery cables, so the CEL, etc. didn't come on.  I used the guaranteed to pass gas product and changed out the spark plug wires.  I drove around 40 miles before the test at emissions, and the guy passed it though the sensors were not all "ready".  

What is it worth at 200K, good body, though; fixed a couple rust spots today.  No real issues except rear window wiper doesn't work??

My brother did body filler on rust holes in back.  MTiS2YC.jpg

Edited by ThosL

96 is exempt from the readiness monitors and will pass even if it says not ready which will fail later models.  You got a good inspector who knew that. 

Cars like this can vary quite a bit based on local market dynamics. I’d say $1,500 roughy. 

If you wait long enough you can probably get $2k for it. If you want a quick sale probably closer to $1k.  

• Like 1

If someone tries to lowball you, mention that 96 is arguably the best naturally aspirated ej22 made. The only one that is non interference with the adjustable lifters. And obd2.

The only other obd2 is the 95 and that one has the hydraulic lash adjusters, which i prefer. But some people are weird and like a subaru that dosen't tick when cold haha! I pumped the hlas back up and she finally started ticking 10,000 miles later lol

Good luck on the sale. Try here before the CL dirtbags :P

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 2

Sounds like it needs a tune up at least. 

But yeah - running and driving that's a $1k to $1.5k car. Only because it has the old reliable in it. People still want them. I just rebuilt a 5 speed trans for a dude with a 91 - willing to R&R it himself and give me $1k for parts and labor to keep it on the road. 

GD

Unfortunately this is status conscious Fairfield County, CT where people want status cars...A functional econobox is much better than the popular Jeeps, etc. but harder to sell.  The Au Paire girl who came to check it out was focused on the brakes, maybe not enough "grab" for her but pads are cheap and easy to install as I explained.  

That’s yours down in New Canaan ? I saw that and another cheap one in Stamford I think still up on Craigslist. 

Tempted but have my hands full now. 

GD - glad to hear that. I’m running a family on 92-94 Legacys (3).

And in the above mentioned affluent Fairfield County. 

It's maybe worth $500-700 as-is. IF getting a P0420 AND misfire codes, that means the CEL came on and was ignored for a long time. The misfire being ignored destroyed one/both cats, meaning the honeycomb broke and is letting raw exhaust out the tail pipe (if the car has up/down cats, the up cat could be bad but doewn still OK, so it can mask the odor). The coolant warning would be another issue if it's been overheated and ignored.

Worse case I have it backwards. The engine overheated, more than once, warped a head, caused a misfire, which after being ignored destroyed a cat.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but if you sell that for $1500 the buyer is going to have to put serious money into it (cats, tune up, possibly coil, and hopefully the engine wasn't overheated). I'd give full disclosure and ask $900. People will talk you down.

On 5/27/2019 at 8:02 AM, ThosL said:

Unfortunately this is status conscious Fairfield County, CT where people want status cars...A functional econobox is much better than the popular Jeeps, etc. but harder to sell.  The Au Paire girl who came to check it out was focused on the brakes, maybe not enough "grab" for her but pads are cheap and easy to install as I explained.  

Rust also drives the market.  

Brakes without grab is probably fluid, stuck pins, leaks, or seized caliper - more expensive than pads,  which are still $150 or 25% of what the car is worth. 

Used cars are priced outrageously up here .

It just passed emissions - show positive points and don’t disclose crap. Your price is as expected for what it is and the location. These nice folks don’t know Fairfield County. Maybe take some off to a negotiator but not much. You’re selling “AS IS”. 

It drives , passed emissions. Right there it’s worth $1500

Brakes have to be done all the time. Screw dumping money into it. But if you feel too guilty about the brakes - do the front rotors , pads , and calipers refreshed. Moments like this I would get aftermarket and just be sure to lube the spots you should. And be sure the pads are able to slide easily enough. Sometimes the aftermarket pads need grinding to clear the caliper bracket.

Those wagons with automatic AWD ride so nice in the snow!  Good luck with it.

Just ignore everything I said if I show up to buy it. LOL

The great $500 Beater has just about vanished from the northeast. 

• Like 1

Cheating people by not disclosing anything is bad tact. The car didn't legitimately pass emissions, especially NOT with a P0420. Misfires left untreated mess everything from the cats up, dirty the O2 sensors, and dump gas into the oil as raw gas makes it way pass the rings. The coolant temp being ignored could be serious (head gasket) as the ecm wouldn't know how hot it was running or the sensor might be bad (hg vs. simple fix). The airbag light is on, so either it popped the bags and replacements bits were put back, wrong, the fuse is bad for the bags, a ground is bad, a sensor is bad, etc.. I can clearly see the bondo line in driver's rear quarter fender, as it wasn't done right. Driver's fender and front bumper hit something. The hubcaps are mismatched. And this doesn't include interior, driving, how it actually runs, etc..

It's NOT a $1500 car. You could by an auction Legacy in CA for $300-500, and ship it to your door for $1000 if you desperately need a clean beater in CT w/o all the issues. I've got 4 locally @$1500 about 5 miles from me if you guys want '95-'99 Forester/Legacy runners THAT bad.

@Moosens Remind me to never by anything from you.

Edited by Bushwick

Lol , that’s fine. Buddy , it’s CT and it’s an As Is vehicle. It’s thereby understood to have issues YOU the buyer will need to tend to. 

I sure do appreciate you’re being so kind to humanity. Look man , I’ve been here so damn long and helped so many people you have no idea. This is dumping off a car. It’s southwestern Connecticut. 

Take a breath and relax. 

I have already brought vehicles from the west several times over. You sure do make it sound easy and cheap but I research and price shipping as well as anybody. 

Of course you’re going to tell the buyer what to be aware of. But it’s an As Is sale in CT so buyer beware , buyer be smart , buyer be ready to assume repairs. Seller enjoy. 

I just sold my 1978 4WD wagon always from CT , for $1800 needing brake lines and rot repairs. I went over everything and the guy is completely happy. 

Then there’s the countless people I’ve hooked up with parts. Enough ! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Actually addressed all the CEL issues; changed out wires, did the body work, burped the coolant system that finally fixed a nagging problem, it would heat up then sometimes accelerating up hill would suddenly have a spaz attack.  Not any more with the coolant system burped.  Only real issues I can see is that the tires will need to be changed out in 5-10K and the rear wiper.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/new-canaan-1996-subaru-legacy-brighton/6955343208.html

My 2 cents.....You might want to snag a used wiper motor  for cheap and just include it in the sale and clean up the interior in the pictures.  A Dirty car does not sell as well as a clean one especially inside.  Not a big fan of the aftermarket hub caps either.   A parts yard would have 4 subie caps for cheap as well I am sure.  

On 6/2/2019 at 12:04 PM, Bushwick said:

It's NOT a $1500 car.

Ohio and the NE are substantially different.  Subaru's are ubiquitous in the NE, relatively unknown in OH (that's increasing rapidly recently- but that's not going to drive older Subaru prices as much).  OH housing and property prices are dirt cheap. Dealers have to pay for property, taxes, storing and having a business and therefore sales pricing and inventory structures...and this then has bearing on the overall market

4 hours ago, moosens said:

Yeah I’ve been watching it. CT is weird these days. I can’t believe they haven’t sold. This new millennium is bs. 

My opinion is CL has lessened in traffic recently and car sales should tick up a notch right around now.