Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch replacement Forester or Legacy M tranny

09 Forester 2.5x Manual tranny - hydraulic Clutch goes to the floor - my son can't shift into any gears - retired neighborhood mechanic checks it out - drops the tranny  - discovers fork is broken and has previously been welded -  replace clutch and fork puts tranny back on - clutch pedal all the way up - push to floor - can't shift into any gears - drops tranny again - has buddy comes over that is a Subaru mechanic - says its a Frankenstein - tranny is a Legacy - so he gets a Legacy clutch - using same fork - putting back together tomorrow morn - will see if it works tomorrow - is the Legacy tranny interchangeable between Forester- Legacy - Outback - etc - or the same manufactured tranny - and you have to know which clutch to get to match the tranny? 

One previous owner - had clutch replaced a few years ago - how does that beefy fork break? and who welds it? You guys think someone Frankenstein'ed this used car or are the trannys the same  between Subaru's - hence the clutch screw up. 

Thanks, 

Bob 

Legacuy Forester Outback dossn't matter for clutch.

it comes down to hydraulic clutch versus cable clutch. anything after like 99 is hydraulic so I doubt that is the issue.

Forks break. Ussually replace with new.  Welding is crap fix for emergency.

Now if it has a Legacy trans, that would be way the wrong gear ratio for the Forester.  I doubt you've had the wrong trans in all this time.

My guess is improper bleeding of the clutch.

Clutch/flywheel/forks - all interchangeable. I’ve got an EJ22 (4 bolt) bolted to an SG (8 bolt) cased L series dual range AWD locking centre diff gearbox with a Gen1 flywheel, pressure plate and cable clutch fork - in an L series :D 

Gearboxes, externally, the phase two boxes all look the same, but internally they have different gear ratios, diff ratio and speed sensor drive gear.  Same goes for the phase1 gearboxes but externally they’re different to the phase two box. Internals are not interchangeable due to a change in the reverse gear setup/size.

If a legacy box was put into the forester and the rear diff wasn’t swapped to the matching diff ratio you could have other issues with the gearbox. 

Keep us posted ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

My 06 WRX wagon ate 2nd gear, local tuner shop rebuilt it, $2K

probably would have looked for a used one at car-part.com except mine had very low miles.

they claim 3rd gear is weak but sometimes 2nd goes. and second is cut onto a main shaft....

wish I'd had the money for a 6spd swap

I should add that NA clutches are interchangeable with each other. Turbo ones are not interchangeable. 

If you want the NA push clutch, you must also swap to the NA gearbox as the clutch pivot point is completely different. 

Cheers

Bennie

Also I was looking around for replacement trans for my 95 this year, luckily it turned out it was the synthetic gear oil I tried. Saved again.

But I hadn’t noticed that on car-part, one of the sellers if you scrolled far enough was JDM suppliers. I never knew that JDM also sold transmissions.

they are on Craigslist too. They may be more helpful in making sure they give you a compatible one. Some ads said they install also.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=subaru+forester+jdm&sort=rel