Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone ever found a manual steering rack that will fit a 1999 Legacy? Been looking around and just not sure if any old Subaru manual racks would fit. I've read rumors of people using Ford Pinto manual racks. 

I know its an easy system to fix and everything. I've just been wanting to try out a manual rack for a while after I read that someone did it to an SVX. I just see no downsides and a lot of benefits to a manual rack. 

Just on the hunt for a rack that will fit. Surely someone has done this before, I've read about people thinking about doing it, but couldn't find any posts that had actually completed it on this gen Legacy. 

I just picked up an '82 S-10 that came with manual brakes AND a manual rack from the factory. I honestly don't care for it. While moving, it's fine, but stopped and trying to turn, it's a pain and the truck only weighs 2900 pounds. I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you were doing a drag build and running a large engine where space was a premium and it wasn't doing a lot of parking lot parking, etc.. On a stock Subaru, the tiny amount of hp the pump steals could be negated with a different pulley.

If really curious how manual racks feel, unhook the power steering belt and try turning the wheel (don't idle long with water pump not spinning). If you are like "Yeah, that's exactly what I want in a DD", then consider getting a manual rack from Flaming River. They are popular in the Mustangs and can probably be retrofitted easily enough if nothing is out there for the WRX. They also have quick turn ratios.

Doing that without the belt wouldn't feel like a manual rack.

Multiple svx owners have done a manual rack swap. I'm not worried about turning the wheel. I grew up learning to drive on a 4runner with no power steering. 

What dimensions do I need to look at to make sure it will bolt up to a legacy? 

Edited by db*****

Disconnecting the power steering belt will remove the power assist.

No idea. I would try calling Summit racing, and ask if they have any Flaming River racks for a WRX. Summit has legit USA phone call reps. Conversely, you can try calling Flaming River direct and ask if they have something that works for Subaru.

Other thing is if a bunch of people are running them, try asking them, even if in PM.

4 hours ago, Bushwick said:

Disconnecting the power steering belt will remove the power assist.

It’s not the same. The racks can differ internally, power steering without assist can be harder to turn than a manual rack.  

4 hours ago, Bushwick said:

Other thing is if a bunch of people are running them, try asking them, even if in PM.

That - what racks are they using?  SVX suspension, hubs, and axles are easily installed into EJ vehicles, so presumably whatever works in a rare SVX might be an easy option for EJs 

Edited by idosubaru