Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy have a eradiator fan switch?

Converting a 1st gen S-10 to electric fans, and since I'm going to be junking my '95 Legacy, figured it'd be a good parts candidate considering it has 2 fans and everything is known to work, and it's free.

I know the ej22 has a coolant temp sensor, but don't know if it's the same thing that turns the fan relay on? If so, is it an actual on/off temperature switch? Or is it only read by the computer, then the computer decides when/if the fans come on?

If the Subaru coolant temp switch won't work for a basic open/closed at temp to turn the relay on to the fan, what's a super cheap car/truck that has one I could pirate from, or even get from the parts store?

Edited by Bushwick

• 2 months later...

If you are still working on this I can help you with the wiring. From the 95 you can use the engine compartment fuse box with the 4 relays and the wiring harness that goes to the fans using the same connectors. The only thing you will have to buy is an adjustable temp switch with the temp sensing bulb. I got one from AutoZone to use when I rewired our 97 RHD.

Yep. That's what I did. I pulled the fan relay box out of the main fuse block along with the wiring, and only used 2 relays to kick a single fan (5 blade fan appears to pull more so used that by itself) on at full speed if needed and can run dual or better fans down the road. Fan needs power to both relays on a single fan to get full speed, like it's paralleling the windings or something.

Truck has 2.8L w/iron head, intake, and block and runs at 195 degrees stock. With just the single 5 blade fan zipped to the radiator INSIDE the stock shroud, the truck stays at 195. Pulled a 2k pound trailer with the 3k+ pound Legacy on it (figure 5k pounds at least) and the fan was enough to keep it at or around 200 degrees when the poor truck struggled on inclines from a stop (silly thing couldn't get over 25-30 mph until the road leveled).

So, it seems to be a decent flowing fan and even better is they are virtually silent, even on the high speed.

Edited by Bushwick
  • Like 1