Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bogging in forward gears

Looking at a loyale wagon for sale, when I got there he said it used to big a bit then run fine when it got warm. Showed up and it doesn't get better when it warms up now. Revs fine in neutral, goes good in reverse but  in any forward gears it won't go. You can't slip the clutch to make it go either. If you slip the clutch it just won't rev.

Only code  it shows is the EGR solenoid. The lights on the dash don't show it go into 4wd although it does go in. Don't know if it's related, just throwing it out there. Any ideas? 

Ummm...if she bogged in reverse I would suggest timing or too quick an advance...I don't think ignition advance is adjustable on these though?

Are all the vacuum lines in order? I would think the advance might be vaccum related on these. I would start with that then maybe look at fuel pressure?

Good luck man, let us know!

The egr solenoid is open circuit.   Not the problem.   Fuel starvation or plugged exhaust will make one very weak, but direction shouldn't matter. ...

Moves in reverse,  but no forward.   That is odd.  

What about the fact the torsional difference on the engine when in reverse compared to forward. Is there an intake duct between engine and body that might be cracked and that crack seals with regards reverse torsion but opens up and goes lean in forward torsion. Makes it very cheap :)

20 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

Ummm...if she bogged in reverse I would suggest timing or too quick an advance...I don't think ignition advance is adjustable on these though?

Yes distributor timing can be adjusted on this EA82 engine

13 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

broken axle? maybe center diff is stronger in reverse???

FWD or 4wd.  No center diff.  Not the issue.

4 hours ago, Steptoe said:

What about the fact the torsional difference on the engine when in reverse compared to forward. Is there an intake duct between engine and body that might be cracked and that crack seals with regards reverse torsion but opens up and goes lean in forward torsion. Makes it very cheap :)

possible there is a crack in the air intake boot.  

1 hour ago, FerGloyale said:

possible there is a crack in the air intake boot.  

This^^^

bVNbS4.jpg

Bottom of mine was cracked in places as you can see. From Nov 2017. 4 inch lift caused too much strain on intake boot.

Edited by czny

Checked trans fluid, no loose wires, all vacuum lines look good. All original under the hood so nothing has been pulled off. Didn't check under the intake boot. I had the same thing with a motorcycle where the bottom  of the air box had a hole in it causing it to run lean and over heat. Finally found that hole as I was parting  it out. 

Replaced MAF sensor and is running better now. It was smelling like it was running really rich. Is it possible just that sensor could cause it to go in reverse but not forward? Is the reverse limited by rpm? Maybe it was only bogging at an rpm higher than I was going in reverse.

There is nothing fancy in the control system.  You can wind reverse up to red line just as well as 1st gear, but it might be hard to steer well...

There are failure modes that will let it seem normal at low power demand, then hit a wall / limit if you try for more.

in this old EA platform, with manual trans, the ECU has no way of knowing what gear you are in other than nuetral.  This problem will have nothing to do with Rev/forward unless the torquing of the engine against it's mounts in reverse is causeing a Vac leak or bad connection of some kind.

Again, the ECU has no idea if you are in reverse or forward gears.