Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale Fuel Pump

I have been researching fuel pump issues for my car and have found several threads and some broken links. I am trying to replace the pump but they are either ridiculously expensive ($400) or back ordered for months. Does anyone know why there is that diaphragm on the pump? Can I simply replace it with an appropriately rated inline pump?  Does the diaphragm keep the system primed?

Thanks in advance. 

There is an impulse damper on the pump.  I have had a couple rust off, capped the hole, and everything kept running fine.  

I can look up the aftermarket pump I got last time I needed one, it's very nicely built, and a lot less than the no longer available OEM pump.

Thank you. That was exactly the information I was looking for.  I found a few of the pumps that fit the 90s vintage F-150s that seem to be a popular swap. Any advice on manufacturers to use or stay away from would be greatly appreciated if you happen to remember a name. 

3 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

The Ford pumps are more difficult than a universal to fit. That's decades old information from before this stuff was easily available. Here's a good universal option:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-70151

GD

Wow I hadn't even looked into the aftermarket for these in a while.  That pump looks sweet.  And at a nice price for play projects.

Could be a cheapo china pump with a nice fancy housing, but even still I bet it would work great for quite a while.

I opted for TRUE Walbro 255.  It was that much in dollars, lol.  

But seriously yeah to the OP, get a new universal, it will be way easier to find correct fittings and hook it up.

Holley has some nice little electric diaphragm pumps that are perfect for Weber's too. For like $45 or something. I just put one in the engine bay of an 80 or 81 wagon and it was sweet. Small, silent, and self primed like a boss. The customer was really happy with how it looked and it required no pressure regulator. Made in USA too. 

GD

• Like 2