Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wacky legacy infotainment system

my 2019 legacy, and a friend's 2017 ditto, have a horrific infotainment system, which the importer says is a design, not a bug. among other things, it sometimes remembers whether i am listening to the USB stick if i shut off the engine and restart; other times it forgets. sometimes it hunts for music (even GIF files!) on my phone when i am playing from the USB. if the system is off and i shut off the engine, the radio goes *ON* to the most recently played station. there is more, but that's the guts of it. 

despite subaru saying it's by design, they also say they are looking to change the software - although how this will apply power to the USB stick when the engine is off escapes me. 

i'd like to know if anybody else has dealt with this. thanks

There is a radio firmware update they applied to my wife's 2018 Impreza radio when we went in for an oil change last time.  If was a warranty thing.  Can't say for sure, but it took care of a few bugs for her.

14 minutes ago, 3Pin said:

There is a radio firmware update they applied to my wife's 2018 Impreza radio when we went in for an oil change last time.  If was a warranty thing.  Can't say for sure, but it took care of a few bugs for her.

thanks, i will look into it. would think that the 2019 would include that sort of update. 

14 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

not sure on specifics, but there are plenty of complaints over at subaruoutback.org

14 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

thanks. i am not registered there but will hunt it down.

It's going to be up to Subaru's contractor that manufactures and programs the stereo software to fix it. This is one of the joys of buying modern products that haven't matured prior to being sent to market. They know they can just flash update it later so they take the beta v0.7, re-label it as release version 1.0, and ship the product. Knowing full well every one of them will come back with complaints. 

Welcome to the year 2000..... wait - oh yeah! We have been dealing with Flash EPROM marketing consequences for 20 years. Nothing to see here....

GD

• Like 2

i notice that the USB port loses +12v power when the ignition is turned off. this may - or may not - be a programmable change. (if the usb power is driven by +12v from the ignition key, then there is no programmable fix).  

once the USB power is off, the flash key cannot talk to the radio, which decides to play the most recently selected station. even if you have driven 300 miles and your "station" does not broadcast in the new territory.