Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1995 Subaru Impreza LX with Transmission Code: TZ102ZA3BA. This tranny is slipping and I’d like to replace it. I’ve been offered one from a 1997 Impreza Outback Sport Transmission Code: TZ102ZA5AA. Are these interchangeable? Thank you

Edit: Transmissions are automatic 

Edited by RenoThrasher

Per the attached from opposedforces.com they should both be  (G/R) 4.111.  They're both running the EJ22 / 2.2.

One thing is Subaru changed the rear diff's flange bolt spacing around '95, so that 'could' be a gotcha, too.2012322462_1995ImprezaLXFDR.thumb.PNG.5d75973e1797eaa0a05ef57feb5b701d.PNG1206520891_1997ImprezaOBFDR.thumb.PNG.80a8576a3a390a87cdd71f1257d1a088.PNG

Edited by wtdash

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Please start your own thread so not to Hijack....since your ? isn't related to this.

To answer:

The '99 5MT should be fine, but note you'll need to change the Rear Dif to match the trans (should be 4.11).

'01 is PHASE 2 and not compatible w/Phase 1 (pre-'99) stuff. It'll bolt up, but the electronics are different and your TCM/TCU can't control it...and nope...can't just swap the TCU either. :-(

p.s. the 5MT doesn't care (as much) about Phase 1 vs. Phase 2, but you may still need to change the speedo cable connection, Neutral safety switch and Reverse switch to match the '96 system.

Edited by wtdash