Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil filter fit and install issues

I bought genuine Subaru 15208AA12A  oil filters for my daughters Impreza.

First thing I noticed is they don't fit my filter socket wrench.  The old non- Subaru filter on the car fit it fine, but the Subaru filter is 0.020" larger across the flats and the wrench will not go on.

The next issue is the filter says rotate 7/8 turn after contacting the gasket.  These filters bottom out after 3/4 turn.  After I bent a dent in the first one I installed after trying to get past 3/4T with a strap wrench and socket extension I installed a second one which also bottomed out at 3/4 turn so I left it at that.

Is this expected?

Thanks,

David B

Yes I've noticed the same thing.   I'm not a professional, but i've installed a bunch of these over the years.   I just go about 3/4 turn or until it bottoms out.  Don't use wrench.   Hand tighten only.  I've never had a leak.   By the way, those blue subaru filters are generally scorned by enthusiasts as being substandard.   

personally, i dont use a wrench.. (except maybe to take one off that was put on by someone else)

they do not need to be so tight that you need to use a wrench.

lubricate the rubber seal with a little dab of clean oil, spin the filter on till it hits bottom, get a good firm grip and turn another half turn or so.

Done.

And no, I have never had one vibrate loose, either.

The "factory" filters are junk. Made by Honeywell (Fram) for the US market because SOA is too cheap (or too greedy) to buy the Japanese Tokyo-Roki filters. We use WIX because they have an up-front bypass valve design. The "blue" filters are just cheap rebranded parts store filters sold at a huge margin. 

We put all our filters on hand tight only. NO TOOLS!! Trust me they will come back and you will need pliers to get them off even with this much torque. Mind you we are all MEN and we don't limp-wrist them on either. But using a filter wrench or strap wrench is just asking for trouble removing it later. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, dburton97128 said:

Thanks for the tips...  I'm going to take in my wrench and make sure it fits when I buy one.

Did you miss the part where people said don't use the wrench?  If you must use a tool to remove the filter I prefer to use oil filter pliers because they fit filters of all sizes and I don't have to be slipped it over the end of the filter on hard-to-access applications.

image_17544.jpg

There is no way to fit this on the filter of this car.  The filter is recessed up in the exhaust manifold and the only access is from the bottom, so a socket cap wrench is the way to go.  A strap wrench with extension can work, but it's easy to damage the filter casing at the winch point.

11 minutes ago, dburton97128 said:

There is no way to fit this on the filter of this car.  The filter is recessed up in the exhaust manifold and the only access is from the bottom, so a socket cap wrench is the way to go.  A strap wrench with extension can work, but it's easy to damage the filter casing at the winch point.

Install oil filters by hand.  The tool should NOT be used for installation, ONLY for filter removal.  At that point, who cares if you dent the filter housing?

10 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

Unless this engine is not installed in a Subaru I have no idea what you mean.  It's just hanging there on the bottom of the engine...  I wear XL gloves and have no problem changing the filter on an EA81T, EA82T, EJ253, EJ20G, EJ205, EJ257, EJ22T....

the later models with the "wrap around" exhaust can be difficult.  I know after 2005 they started the altered oil pan and doubled back exhaust.  Especially difficult in models without the oil cooler.  The filter is surrounded by exhaust pipe heat shields.

That being said, filter should still be tightened by hand only.  Using a rag or blue shop towel to grip makes for better grip.

Edited by FerGloyale

I used to do Subaru oil changes several times a week on those cars. We did call it the fire ring. There is no reason you can't get your hand up there, and I never even used a socket cap wrench to even pull them off, and the cars/ Exhaust were HOT when I did it.. Pliers or a 3 jaw wrench is what I used

Now when I did laying on the ground oil changes to my girlfriends moms '10 legacy, I actually used a Honda V6 filter. Same specs but slightly longer to make it easier to grab

• Like 1

I'm about 75% on getting them off by hand. The 06+ cars with the pretzel header are a bit tighter but I'm 6'2" and hands to match. I've worked with this same pair of hands extensively over the years - indeed it's rare that I use any other pair. 

They say the average grip strength of 25-35 males in the US has decreased by something like 25% since 1980.

I guess with the combination of video games, software engineering, Army, heavy industrial, and automotive I have the hand strength equivalent of your average super hero. And later in life probably a scorching case of carpal tunnel. 

GD 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

And later in life probably a scorching case of carpal tunnel. 

GD 

It's been hitting me pretty damn hard.

My wrists are painfully, achingly pins and needles at night.  But it doesn't go away with motion and circulation increase.  It just friggin hurts all night.

Still can rip things apart by hand, but I try now to use more tools instead of tough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

It's been hitting me pretty damn hard.

My wrists are painfully, achingly pins and needles at night.  But it doesn't go away with motion and circulation increase.  It just friggin hurts all night.

Still can rip things apart by hand, but I try now to use more tools instead of tough.

if you don't have any yet, pick up some good wrist braces (ones that are specific to the hand it is being worn on) and wear them! Especially at night. During the day, too, if you can.

Have dealt with carpal tunnel and the pain it causes since 1989. Finally had the release surgery on my right hand in 2012. That hand is MUCH better (have other issues now related to an injury) but the left one is still a bother.

Edited by heartless