Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wife's '98/2.2/5MT speedo died.  Suspect xmission sensor; severe shortage of compatible donor cars in the boneyards at the moment.

Have old leftover 4EAT pulled from '99 Forester lying around waiting for when I need a core.

Ignoring cable/connector issues, will the sensor from the 4EAT work in the 5MT?

Edited by jonathan909

1 hour ago, jonathan909 said:

Wife's '98/2.2/5MT speedo died.  Suspect xmission sensor; severe shortage of compatible donor cars in the boneyards at the moment.

Have old leftover 4EAT pulled from '99 Forester lying around waiting for when I need a core.

Ignoring cable/connector issues, will the sensor from the 4EAT work in the 5MT?

no.

different connectors.

Might be able to hack it.

36 minutes ago, jonathan909 said:

I did say "ignoring cable/connector issues", so I was asking whether the transducer itself would fit and work.

it will screw into the same hole.

I think one is 3 wire and one is 2 wire.  Can't remember, but I think one of the wires in the 3 wire is just a shield grond so you could ignore it.

Interesteed in what you find.

12 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Don't think so. One is a powered (12v switched) sensor, and one is passive. Doubt their signals are compatible .

GD

Either ECU has no problem dealing with a simple reed pulse from the old EA's when we do swaps.

So how would they not be able to see the same sensor?  Only the one wire with the pulse on it goes to the ECU?  

Might be a different number of pulses per rotation. I haven't looked into it that closely. I just know that the last 2.5RS I was asked to fix the wiring on after an auto to manual swap I had to wire up the MT sensor to a 12v switched source. It did not function with the 4EAT sensor. 

It's probably a square wave for both. And of course you could use like a Dakota Digital box if the pulse frequency was different. 

It's been a while and I don't remember the exact reason, but we had to get the MT sensor and matching connector and wire it up to get a speedo. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Might be a different number of pulses per rotation.

Again, they all (up to 2004ish at least) use the same 4 per rotation pulse as the old reed switches in the EAs

I really think it's a connector and ground issue more than anything.

just inferring from my experience with swaps.  

Sounds like it's possible 12v to the 4EAT sensor is needed, but I would think the ECU would provide the 5v that is ultimate the signal voltage, and see the pulse as it was grounded.

None of the FSM ECU pinout voltage charts make any distinction between AT/MT.  Voltage on the VSS pin is always either 0 or 5

At any rate, it's probably easier, and certainly for a client, I would just recommend buying the correct VSS for the MT.

Edited by FerGloyale