Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ring Gear Swap

Dirty Bucket

I've got an lifted 2002 Forester Auto and I'm looking to change out the rear differential. Currently it has the 4.44 ratio rear LSD. I am looking to swap out the LSD for a locker. I've got my old differential from my 2015 WRX with a 4.11 ratio. I ended up getting a third differential that is a 4.44 open. In order to install the locker, you have to have an open as the LSD housing won't work. The case on the 4.44 housing has a couple broken bolts on the cover So basically, what I need to do is take the open 4.44 carrier out and put it in the new 4:11 case. My question is would I have to swap the pinion from the 4.44 to the new case or would I be able to just keep the 4.11 pinion and use the 4.44 ring gear from the old diff. Obviously I would take care to keep the backlash and preload to proper specs.

7 hours ago, Dirty Bucket said:

I've got an lifted 2002 Forester Auto and I'm looking to change out the rear differential. Currently it has the 4.44 ratio rear LSD. I am looking to swap out the LSD for a locker. I've got my old differential from my 2015 WRX with a 4.11 ratio. I ended up getting a third differential that is a 4.44 open. In order to install the locker, you have to have an open as the LSD housing won't work. The case on the 4.44 housing has a couple broken bolts on the cover So basically, what I need to do is take the open 4.44 carrier out and put it in the new 4:11 case. My question is would I have to swap the pinion from the 4.44 to the new case or would I be able to just keep the 4.11 pinion and use the 4.44 ring gear from the old diff. Obviously I would take care to keep the backlash and preload to proper specs.

What kind of "locker" did you find for an R160 diff?

Also broken bolts are very easy to remove.  Then you wouldn't need to swap any pinions around in the case.  Which is not so great, because then you have to totally reset the gear mesh and backlash.  You probably have to do that anyhow if you are changing the ring gear carrier.

Edited by FerGloyale

I could be wrong but I feel like there was a thread about someone from this company, or pretending to be them anyway took money from folks and then disappeared.  

Not making any accusation, just caveat emptor.....especially if you pony up money for a "prototype"

This is also technically not a locker.  It's a very powerful limited slip, but requires some wheel spin before "locking".  Not like an Air or electric activate locker.

That said, it would be a great upgrade to an offroad subaru and I'm excited to see if this is the real deal or another "we are looking at it"  tales.

2 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

I could be wrong but I feel like there was a thread about someone from this company, or pretending to be them anyway took money from folks and then disappeared.  

Not making any accusation, just caveat emptor.....especially if you pony up money for a "prototype"

Here's that thread Dan...Lokka Lockers were the ones that took the money and ran. **&%$$!!!

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/165393-lokka-r160-locker-interest-need-50-guys-300-a-piece/

19 minutes ago, czny said:

Here's that thread Dan...Lokka Lockers were the ones that took the money and ran. **&%$$!!!

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/165393-lokka-r160-locker-interest-need-50-guys-300-a-piece/

Didn't they say they were the "original" Aussie locker?  I think that's the overlap that confused me.

Funny though, I went wheeling this weekend, and my buddy took video and posted to his facebook.  Someone in the comments on that FB post linked to this same company and locker.  Apparently the guy has a prototype, ready to install.  But not actually running it yet.

It's just weird to get to comments online from waaaaay seperate sources about the same new product.

Anxious to see it in action, but honestly doesnt help me since I've run welded rear diffs for years.  Now a FRONT locker would be cool.......if on;y for wheeling rigs.  I think that would be iffy for a street car.

10 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

Didn't they say they were the "original" Aussie locker?  I think that's the overlap that confused me.

Funny though, I went wheeling this weekend, and my buddy took video and posted to his facebook.  Someone in the comments on that FB post linked to this same company and locker.  Apparently the guy has a prototype, ready to install.  But not actually running it yet.

It's just weird to get to comments online from waaaaay seperate sources about the same new product.

Anxious to see it in action, but honestly doesnt help me since I've run welded rear diffs for years.  Now a FRONT locker would be cool.......if on;y for wheeling rigs.  I think that would be iffy for a street car.

Yeah, they were originators of the "original" Aussie locker.

https://www.torqmasters.com/

Have a TorqMaster lunchbox locker for my 83 Chevy Dana 60 1ton front axle.

Will have to check the box & instruction sheet for country of origin & manufacturer.

Somewhere out there in the world of off road there's a video showing the turning radius difference of open rear diff VS rear locker on tight trails.

Tight turns are a strong reason for turning brake steering.

Good news, I ended getting all the broken bolts out out of the diff case. Not sure if any of you follow Anderson Design Fabrication on instagram, but he just got the locker installed. I know of a few other people that have just received the prototypes for testing. One guy I follow on youtube just got his from TorqMasters and will be installing it soon. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/powerofyourbrains

Also, I'm going to be attending Wicked Big Meet this year and TorqMasters is supposed to have a booth there, I would assume displaying the locker. Here's hoping this thing actually goes on sale!