Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C hose lines still available?

I am in need of a low side A/C line for my 84 Brat. Someone replaced the hose but cut off the flange on the compressor and evaporator and secured the hose with 2 hose clamps on each end. Even though this is the low pressure line I’m assuming that the 2 hose clamps on each end will still cause leaking of R134A? I tried Ebay and rock auto but the hoses don’t seem to be made anymore. Anyone know of a source or can I get them made at a hose store? I don’t know what the end of the evaporator looks like because that was cut off to. So if I had the hoses made I would still need a new evaporator. I would like to replace everything but I don’t think that is going to happen. 

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Some local stores can make custom ones.  The evaporator is the heat exchanger in the heater system.   Do you mean the fitting was cut off of that?  So it's just got a hacked off hard line going into the firewall?

Since that is the low side, double hose clamps might do ok.   Under normal operating conditions , it will be cool, and only around 40 or so psi.  When shut down, it will rise to 100 and something.  A lot less problematic than the high side, witch can be very hot and near 300 psi. 

I'd pull it down again, it might be some water vapor?  It really shouldn't rise back up, unless there is a leak or water or air getting pulled out of the oil.  I never held one that long though, so just being careful.

Check the sight glass while it's running,  after a decent time. As in, not   1 minute after starting.   When it's warm enough to want ac running  weather wise. Some bubbles is in the normal ish level.  Solid no bubbles is close to over  charged.  Just a stream is under charged.  Not exactly the factory method,  but it's worked for me for years on various systems. 

• Like 1

You can take both ends of the low side line to an A/C shop, and they can make a properly, permanently crimped flex section. Just tell them how long.

MAC's radiators in Albany, Oregon did a set to mate an Impreza compressor to an EA82 car.  In my case it was the high side needed. The impreza low side line hooked right up to the Evap core.