Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire size for Loyale

Contemplating what tire to get for my '94. It currently has 175/70 r13 all seasons with 1 mismatched. Looks like 155/80 r13 is comparable but with narrower cross-section. Should get better fuel economy, but perhaps at the cost of grip. Last winter we had lots of snow and my commute gets pretty hairy with variable conditions from sheet ice to packed snow to slush and wet. With this car, I can't justify 2 sets of tires so studs are out, even though they would be awesome. Anybody have experience or insight? What tires are you running for winter conditions? Thanks. 

I've been running all season radials for quite a while, as I hadn't found much choice in the last decade or so....  I did get a surprise a month or so ago,  when just for the heck of it, I asked the guy at BJs what they had for 13" tires..  they can order in about 6 different tires, from a few different manufacturers.   I hadn't cone across a choice bigger than 2 to 3 since I don't remember when.  

64891867_880871422246015_213844806330639

These hankook 185/70/13 allowed me and my little red wagon put a stomping on one of germanys best awd sports cars in the snow!

Full disclosure: my 86 gl has an ej22 and dual range, but I was laughing maniacally with the bouncing souls maniacal laughter playing. The BMW 325ix stayed in the rearview mirror, speeds nearing 100 mph!

As stated above, there are pretty limited choices these days in the U.S. for 13 inch tires in ANY size.  If you can only have one set, do research and find which ones are rated best in rain/snow.

Without going to a dedicated snow tire, that's about the best you can do.

although i no longer have a third gen, my first gen is currently running 155/60 R13 with white walls, i had such a hard time finding anything 13inch local that i just ordered them online, some strange branded tires i've never heard of before, but they've been fine for the last year, so im happy with that since the fastest i've ever been able to push the brat was 82mph on a downhill, sooo yeah anything pretty much works for it.

Mine are oem from the junkyard, I believe from a sube cause I was all happy, me and then gf just got the 86 and  when I showed her she flipped.

The aftermarket ones have those rounded edges, I have one on my camaro.

But look, these Mustang II covers will fit if the inside part is cut out for the lug nuts!

65239423_883726295293861_82738160225327565141757_883726461960511_708848551504904

155/80-13's don't have quite enough load rating for the Loyale.

I use them in the winter (snow tires), as it is cold, I don't go fast (snow and ice, remember?) and I try to keep the load in the car to a minimum.  I also make sure I run them at 36 psi or more, to get full load rating for the tire. 

175/70-13's have more capacity.  They are are a better bet for summer or year-round tires.

165/80-13 are ideal, but hard to find.  186/70-13 are good too, but just as hard to find.