Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reinstalling an oil pan on a ej25. There is a slight wobble when put the oil pan up against mating service of the block. I might have slightly bent the oil pan when I removed it. Just looking at it, it looks straight.How much wobble is too much. Do I use a thicker bead of silicon on bottom of pan?

11 minutes ago, lmdew said:

I'd find the reason for the wobble.  Fix it.  It should sit flat.  You can straighten it as needed.  Any flat surface will work.

It doesn't lay flat because the oil tube protrudes out from bottom of oil pan.

if it's not terribly bent, just mate it up.  Good bead of sealant, but not too much.make sure to go on the inside edge of the bolt holes with the bead.....ovelap the holes by a 1/16" or so, this gets some sealant on the threads of your bolts.  Oil can leak past them if you don't.

The bolts will pull it up tight as long as it's not creased or waaaay distorted.

I usually just throw them away and get a new one. They are like $115 for the STi pan, $37 for pickup tube, $15 for baffle plate, and $11 for the dipstick. Upgrade to the better baffling and no cleaning or worrying about it being bent, etc. 

They are almost too cheap to spend the time cleaning them. 

GD

2 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

I usually just throw them away and get a new one. They are like $115 for the STi pan, $37 for pickup tube, $15 for baffle plate, and $11 for the dipstick. Upgrade to the better baffling and no cleaning or worrying about it being bent, etc. 

They are almost too cheap to spend the time cleaning them. 

GD

While I totally see the point from a shop perspective.  Yeah I guess someone would have to pay alot of labor time for the cleaning, that would make the new stuff more attractive.

But for a DIY-er........That's getting close to 200 bucks........I think a few cans of brake clean and some compressed air is a fine option on a weekend day.

Compromise would be new stock (non-STI) pan (about 45 bucks)  and a new o-ring for the pickup tube.  baffle doesn't even need to come out if your just resealing the pan.

I use a steam "Jenny" washer to clean mine.  

5 hours ago, el_freddo said:

That doesn’t seem right! 

Has the oil pick up been bent? 

Cheers 

Bennie

The breather tube in the far back corner.  It sticks up into the baffle area covers by the rear seperator plate.

Uses an O-ring there to seal that drain back tube for eh PCV.  Keep teh PCV from passing oily fumes intot eh intake.

Not the Pick-up tube.

• Thanks 1