Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'83 Leone EA81 not starting.

Hi guys,

I was trying to get home last night and went to start my Leone but she wouldn't fire. It was turning over but not igniting and i'm just looking for advice on what to do/buy/try.

I called the local road side assistance who came and tested a few things out. He did a light test and said he was 90% sure it was the 'Distributor Pickup', as the ignition coil had power and there was no fuel problem. I believe he also mentioned something about the spark plugs working, but it was pretty late and I can't quite remember.
I'm not entirely sure what a distributor pick up is, but is it easy enough to get a new one and replace it? Or do i need to replace the whole dizzy?

It's a 1983 Leone with and EA81.

Any help much appreciated

Adrian.

Ok...

I just took off the dizzy cap and the rotor and gave it a bit of a clean.
Went to fire it up again and it started no problem!

I'm so confused.

I need someone's opinion. Should I: 1) Replace parts. 2) Take it to a mechanic. 3) Just drive it and hope it was a glitch in the matrix...

I would not replace module and coil based on that info.

Since fuel was OK,ignition primary pulses were too and so were the coil and module.

I would replace the cap and rotor and await any furthur unlikely developments.

A little bit of unseen condensation under the cap is enough to kill the spark.

It is possible to replace the module,but,it is often cheaper to replace the whole dizzy.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, naru2 said:

It is possible to replace the module,but,it is often cheaper to replace the whole dizzy.

Really?? A module over here is $75ish aftermarket. A dizzy is several hundred!! 

Where the hell are you getting these cheap dizzys? 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, naru2 said:

All depends on what you are paying for modules.Prices have been highly variable thru the years.

Currently,non turbo modules are $10 at Rockauto but turbo ones can be north of $200.

I bought a $50 used turbo dizzy for the module and diaphragm..

http://used-auto-parts.net/

Yeah ok but that’s really adding confusing information - it’s an EA81, no mention of turbo! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Sorry for not responding guys, my account got locked and I couldn't log in til now.

So I replaced the rotor and cap, went for a drive and it konked out and wouldn't start again. So ruled those 2 things out.

Seems to be when the engine is warm that it won't start/runs into problems.

This morning I've replaced the module, so hopefully that works. Started fine once I replaced it and I will go for a drive soon. Odd thing is, that the one I took out seemed to be quite new which makes me a bit nervous. I suppose it could still be faulty, but just seems a bit unlikely to me.

Anyway, hopefully this new module will do the trick as it set me back $100 AUD. Better than a whole new dizzy I suppose, which would be in the hundreds around here.

And no, it's not a turbo! (I wish)