Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Maybe but I think no.

Basically depends on 2 things.  

1)  Does the 05 have AVLS?  if so, the 03 will not work

2) Is the 05 one of the weird Cali models with Single, Oval port heads, and active intake air managment (kinda like the TGV on turbo models) ?

If the answer is NO to both, then the 03 will work in the 05.

If the 05 is the CA emissions as stated above you would have to swap the cylinder heads to make it work.

In either case you need to swap the intake manifold as the 05 is DBW.

Swap the crank sensor, and the driver's cam sprocket.

You will probably need to swap the water crossover pipe as the temp sensor is on the front in the 05 and the harness won't reach to the old location on the back and the connectors are different.

O.

Edit: What's your skill set and what's wrong w/the '05? If the heads are good on the '05  it should work on the '03 block. I'd do the HG on any used Subaru engine I bought regardless.

Edited by wtdash

The reason I was asking I have a 2003 2.5 for sale and a guy messaged me wanting to know if it would fit in an 05 Legacy, I am not super familiar with the 05 and newer.

I agree, it makes sense to do headgaskets on any subaru engine that is new to me that I don't have much history on. Might as well do rings when its apart.

• Like 1