Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've just rebuilt the AC system (everything but the evaporator) from junkyard parts in a car that PO had stripped it of  (he's originally from Africa and thus indifferent to air conditioning).  Prior to attempting to charge it up, I figured I'd do a smart thing (for a change) and see if it leaks.  Hung the manifold gauge, hooked up the vacuum pump, and ran it down.  As soon as I closed the valve to the pump, though, the system quickly rose back to atmosphere.  So how do I track down what appears to be a substantial leak?  Pressure it up (with air through the gauge) and start squirting Snoop all over the connections?  If so, to what pressure?  If not, how?  And if that doesn't turn anything up, how does one ID leaks in the evaporator or condenser?

Answers to relevant questions I'm too dim to ask also welcome.

But iv dye is the best. With a blacklight youll see it instantly... And its really gokd for checking the condensor, etc.

As far as squriting soap water or snoop or whatever, id pressure the system to normal psi as thats what youre gonna have the system at anyway...