Mitchy

??Glue removal??

Hi all

My 97 Legacy II interior is pretty mint, except for the stubborn remains of glue left over after I removed some awful aftermarket ‘wood effect’ trim which was peeling/falling off my dashboard.

why do people have to do that with the cheapest sh.. available?

I am left with crusty remains around the centre console and dash air vents.

I tried wd40 first (gentle softening) - no good

I moved on to 90 alcohol - no good

petrol - still no luck / worried about dissolving plastic

Acetone dissolves the plastic (I now have a fine polished section of one air vent surround, still with crusty remains.

other than sanding and really ruining my interior, or replacing the offensive parts, I am stuck (zero scrap Subarus around here for parts)..

Thanks for any chemical tips!!!

56AF453B-4AA9-4EE6-A249-DBFEC9314B64.jpeg.8911a6629e79222a3969453ca6457c9c.jpeg

DE30C10F-BCE6-4462-BA55-2F38FD217FD4.jpeg.9ee62add58bd1d4f9a1d2c850a1d21b8.jpeg

Goo-Gone may work, but I don't know about its availability in Spain (I have only ever seen it sold in the US, I stocked up when I was last there). In Australia we use Eucalyptus Oil which works in a similar way but stinks.

Best bet might be to get the parts you need shipped from a donor overseas (I'd assume they shouldn't cost much in shipping).

^^^ good Idea

Citrasolv might work, and, actually, WD-40 is a decent solvent, much better than its lubrication ability really. Alcohol could work but would need to be tested.

I would test w'ever you use on some 'hidden' plastic first. Check for any 'gumminess' after use and clean-up.

Be prepared to follow-up with some cleanser as most of these will have an odor.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

If there's still no solution and the aesthetic is bothering you then I think just cover it with another wood and this time buy a really quality glue or something that would paste it together

Not a bad idea, though I would like to find a black-finish part in that case!

Thanks

have you tried vegetable oil? I know, seems too simple but it has worked for me many times removing adhesive residue.

keep applying it and use gentle abrasion with a cloth to remove top layers and then continue deeper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a bad idea, thanks.

I live in Olive oil territory, we use it to get pine resin off things. So why didn’t I think of that?

I ‘ll rub some on and let it soak in.

Props for reminding me!