Ultimate Subaru Message Board

??Glue removal??

Mitchy

Hi all

My 97 Legacy II interior is pretty mint, except for the stubborn remains of glue left over after I removed some awful aftermarket ‘wood effect’ trim which was peeling/falling off my dashboard.

why do people have to do that with the cheapest sh.. available?

I am left with crusty remains around the centre console and dash air vents.

I tried wd40 first (gentle softening) - no good

I moved on to 90 alcohol - no good

petrol - still no luck / worried about dissolving plastic

Acetone dissolves the plastic (I now have a fine polished section of one air vent surround, still with crusty remains.

other than sanding and really ruining my interior, or replacing the offensive parts, I am stuck (zero scrap Subarus around here for parts)..

Thanks for any chemical tips!!!

56AF453B-4AA9-4EE6-A249-DBFEC9314B64.jpeg.8911a6629e79222a3969453ca6457c9c.jpeg

DE30C10F-BCE6-4462-BA55-2F38FD217FD4.jpeg.9ee62add58bd1d4f9a1d2c850a1d21b8.jpeg

Goo-Gone may work, but I don't know about its availability in Spain (I have only ever seen it sold in the US, I stocked up when I was last there). In Australia we use Eucalyptus Oil which works in a similar way but stinks.

Best bet might be to get the parts you need shipped from a donor overseas (I'd assume they shouldn't cost much in shipping).

^^^ good Idea

Citrasolv might work, and, actually, WD-40 is a decent solvent, much better than its lubrication ability really. Alcohol could work but would need to be tested.

I would test w'ever you use on some 'hidden' plastic first. Check for any 'gumminess' after use and clean-up.

Be prepared to follow-up with some cleanser as most of these will have an odor.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Heat can help some glues.  sit it out in the bright, hot sun with the windows all up and try then.  A heat gun can work or if the part is removable it can be placed in an oven. I forget what temperature I use...probably in the 200 F area.  There's something fun about walking past people and placing car parts in an oven. Of course if it's an epoxy type or other glue some can be nearly impossible to remove without mechanical means that are likely to do some damage. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/7/2020 at 11:45 PM, co3 said:

Problem is you nee to find that specific chemical that won't damage it more. That would be  more challenging..

Long years ago, I found a chemical that doesn't damage anything and only takes a little effort to rub out anything debris, glue, paint, etc... 

it is a chemical used in varnished wood for furniture, known locally as the "Red Oil" ... let me find a picture for you:

~► https://gatesantiques.com/product/gates-red-oil-for-furniture/

Here is easy to find, locally made versions of it... it takes some minutes to penetrate on the paper / glue \ dirt, then, buff it with a soft cloth such as an old cotton t-shirt, and the glue will be removed, easily.

This works in painted surfaces, plastic surfaces, etc... without harming.

Kind Regards.

3 in 1 red oil.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...