Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any thoughts on what this noise might be?

The 2005 Impreza Outback Sport , automatic transmission, just started making this whine at highway speeds as soon as we put new tires on it and had it aligned and inspected. It is intermittent and kind of fluctuates, and is mainly heard on acceleration so it doesn’t really sound like it would be a bad tire. I believe it’s coming from the front of the car.

The other possibly is that the front CV joints are likely toast since the inside boots were split when I bought the car for who knows how long and have thrown a lot of grease already.

Please check out the video at the link below and let me know what you think

I was working on the brakes tonight and decided to put the spare on the drivers front wheel. I took it for a spin and the whine was pretty much gone, so it appears to be one of the new tires I bought, which seems odd, but that is when the noise started. Now back to NTB to see if they’ll replace it since tilts a brand new tire (and they need to reinspect it since it failed for the brakes amyway)

I put the new tire back on so they all match. One of my bargaining points with the seller was that he has three different tires on it, but luckily zero torque bind.

Going back tomorrow to NTB where the tires were put on to see what they day. I may test it again with a regular tire to make sure the  noise goes away so I can be certain that’s the tire.

So checked the tires again and not the issue. My son drive it and thinks it’s more from the rear of the car so I suspect the differential may be the culprit. Problem is the previous owner stripped both the drain and fill plugs (so the oil hasn’t been replaced on a while). My mechanic will get the plugs out once the new ones I ordered arrive.

wondering if it’s worth fixing if he needs to replace the differential? No listings at Car Part.com. Not sure if the car is worth putting the money into at this point.

I'll to see what my mechanic finds. I think we're both hopeful it is just badly overdue for a fluid change, but I'm thinking we might find shavings or other nastiness in there when he gets the plug out.

I'm curious what I would expect to pay for a used diff if I can find one and about how many hours would a mechanic charge for to replace it.

I already feel I'm putting too much money in a high mileaged car already. $2,000 purchase price + $500 for tires and 4 wheel alignment, so far. It also needs two fornt axles + the timing belt done correctly (I know of someone who can do the FULL timing belt job and headgaskets for around $800). All those costs plus whatever the noise is could be well over 4 grand :(

On 6/25/2019 at 11:21 PM, Stevo F said:

I was working on the brakes tonight and decided to put the spare on the drivers front wheel. I took it for a spin and the whine was pretty much gone, so it appears to be one of the new tires I bought, which seems odd, but that is when the noise started. Now back to NTB to see if they’ll replace it since tilts a brand new tire (and they need to reinspect it since it failed for the brakes anyway)

Never, ever run the donut spare on the front!

IF the donut spare needs to be used, it is supposed to be put on the rear, and if needed move a good rear tire to the front - AND use the FWD fuse to protect the AWD system from the mismatched tires. This info IS in the owners manual (if you have one)

All four tires are back on the car and it’s parked pending the stuck differential plug removal so no ongoing issue with driving with uneven tires.

Differential question- in case I need to source another can anyone confirm the gear ratio for the 2005 automatic EJ253 naturally aspirated engine Impreza? I found some listings on EBay that list both AT and MT were 4.11, but I don’t trust that.

Edited by Stevo F

Today I put s fuse in the FWD slot. The whine was virtually gone so that would confirm the source of the noise is in the rear driveline.

Interestingly, there has been a slight vibration or shake in the car when accelerating at low speeds, but this was worse with the car in FWD. I’m thinking it may be the worn front axle CV joints that need to be replaced- maybe they were worse with 100% of the torque going to the front wheels.