Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripped EA82 Rotor Screw (Threads, Not Screw Head)

I was doing some work on one of my RXs the other day and had some trouble removing the ignition rotor set screw.  After bumping the engine 180 degrees I found a better screwdriver and a better angle and was able to remove it.  However, when I went to put the new rotor back on I could not get the set screw to thread back in to save my life.  Upon closer inspection I noticed the set screw's threads were full of distributor shaft... Somehow this little screw had pulled the threads out of the distributor shaft...

So I turn to you folks, what do I do?  Searching turned up nothing, but this can't be the first time this has happened?  The fix should be simple, re-tap the disty shaft or use a self tapping screw, but does anyone have a recipe they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by carfreak85

Strip down the distrib to a bare shaft, fill stripped hole with silver braze on low flame. MAPP gas works best.

https://www.amazon.com/Harris-Safety-Silv-Silver-Solder-Brazing/dp/B0713Y6V2F/ref=pd_cp_469_1?pd_rd_w=dDcKR&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=PG9KRVHQ4X65KNR3N839&pd_rd_r=78b87253-97b1-11e9-9c69-1d3c8f2acdb3&pd_rd_wg=iyhgk&pd_rd_i=B0713Y6V2F&psc=1&refRID=PG9KRVHQ4X65KNR3N839

Drill & tap new threads in a drill press to make sure hole is square to shaft & where you want it.

Edited by czny
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...