Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86' GL Front Struts

I'm in the process of replacing the front axles and struts on my '86' GL 4wd wagon. I know that most of you know that KYB struts for 4wd Subaru's are no longer available but the fwd struts will work. What I didn't expect was that the passenger side KYB strut, # 233022 is nearly impossible to find. I ordered a set from a vendor on ebay and received two of the driver side struts, 233023.I ordered a set from Shockwarehouse.com. They sent me an email saying 'thanks for my order' and ten days later I hadn't heard anything from them. I called Napa and they said they couldn't get it. I've communicated with three other ebay vendors and only one says he has it. That was this morning so I'm waiting to get an email saying it's been sent. Meanwhile my car has been up on jack stands for a month and I'll have to send one of the driver side struts back. The driver side strut was $54. The passenger side that I ordered was over $60 with shipping ( if they really have it).

Yeah, I've had bad luck getting the wrong side Sachs brand.  returned what I thought to be a "flawed" product, only to get he same part again.  It's basically a drivers side strut, with brake line tab reversed.  Don't know if that's what you are getting.

At any rate you can use the driver side on the passenger side.

Bend up the tab at the front and rotate the strut so that the spring perch is out like it should be.  leave that tab unbolted.

Clamp it in, and use a ziptie to hold the brake line to the strut.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So there's a member on this forum who did a great write up on struts and springs. He rules his kingdom in a canary yellow soob thats decked out! Here's the link...

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/?hl=%2Breplacement+%2Bstrut+%2Bcoils

Best of luck!

H

As far as I was able to find out, no one makes 4wd front struts for Subaru's of this vintage anymore and 3 of the Ebay sellers I contacted couldn't even get the fwd strut for the passenger side, and the ones that could were mostly too expensive. But I did buy the one for $47+ +  shipping and the job is done. Just wanted to let people know that these are getting hard to find.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:48 AM, Hanover Fist said:

So there's a member on this forum who did a great write up on struts and springs. He rules his kingdom in a canary yellow soob thats decked out! Here's the link...

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/?hl=%2Breplacement+%2Bstrut+%2Bcoils

Best of luck!

H

I turned it into a live link that will open the site.

• 10 months later...

My suggestion: If you have a NAPA or other parts place near you, ask them. If you can take yous off and take them to the parts store to compare them to what they have, that would be the best because some are side specific like mine and some aren't. But don't just buy them off Ebay just because the seller's compatibility chart says they'll work. I bought a set of front axles that way because the seller's compatibility showed they would fit my '87' DL. Now I have a set of 25 spline axles that don't fit because my axles are 23 splines and it was too expensive to ship them back.

The (233023 and 233022) are fwd and side specific and worked on my 4wd. It rides a bit lower. Inconsequential.

So to be specific, I don't know for sure if these struts will work on your Brat but I can give you a hell of a good deal on a set of 25 spline axles if you happen to have a rig that they'll fir..........

OK thanks. I will read up on the specs of the 233023/233022 struts. The KYB 234028's that I had replaced the originals with in 2004 are worn out. These are the same for the right and left sides due to the double brake hose brackets on each strut. Basically, one side of the bracket is not used on each side. I just want to make sure that the strut piston rod threads on the EA82 struts will be able to go through the slotted hole in the strut mount for the Brat. Do you remember how you tightened the strut piston rod nut on the 233023/233022 struts? Was the strut rod threaded portion slotted etc. as in the EA81's? TIA.

I used a spring compressor to compress the spring enough to get the  strut mount on and as many  turns of the nut that I could get by hand to hold everything together. The strut rod is fixed to the bottom of the strut, so holding the bottom of the strut I snugged the nut with a deep socket and then took off the strut compressor. Once the strut is mounted top and bottom you can torque the strut nut . That's how I did my rig.

I have had a spring compressor (Craftsman) since the early 2000's. First struts I did was on the Brat in 2004. Have used it a few times on BMW's, Nissan's and Subaru's. No issues with replacement of struts etc. I just replaced the strut mounts on the Brat with Mevotech mounts, but greased and reused the original bearings from the original mounts; torqued the strut piston nut to 29 ft-lb. The actual spec. may be a bit higher. The EA81 mounts and the strut piston rod have a flat portion and this keeps the rod from turning when tightening. A few more things to tie together and it will be ready to fire up. However, now I need to source a pair of new struts.

With respect to placement of the spring compressor, I clamp three coils on each side (typical) from the bottom. This gives me more clearance. One side is no issues with a gun, but the other side, the bolt is too close to the lower spring seat, and I do it by hand. So gun a bit, then with the hand etc. It is quite simple with basic precautions.

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate it.

I understand, but the originals are height adjustables and the lower spring perch is a separate part. I still have not called Tacoma Subaru to discuss. If the original includes the lower spring perch, then sure, it is a no brainer.

Can you please verify the P/N. I called Tacoma Subaru (Subaruparts.com) yesterday and they looked at the drawings and said that it only included the strut and studs. The P/N for the 4WD strut is 721032064. The lower seat is P/N 721065031. The lady on the phone said that the spring seat was not included. Can you please post the P/N you purchased? Thanks a bunch.

OK, just received the parts from SPFY. I have ordered parts/accessories from them before for my 2017 Outback and 08 OBS (RIP) before, and my experience has been fantastic with them. They even upgraded shipping on this order for me and waived the shipping charges. I highly recommend SPFY for Subaru parts etc. However, here are the pictures of the fresh date coded matching Subaru struts (SHOWA is the manufacturer). You will note that the mounting bracket on one strut is a bit pulled out, but I can straighten that out, no issues. I am wondering whether these are rebuildable - future consideration.

IMG_1652.jpg.7c96ffc84e04c42ff313150a71a3627b.jpgIMG_1649.jpg.bbe08b532db2e762e7cf2cb019632944.jpgIMG_1650.jpg.2be0b60fa8d26be8e5ecf0be95ced80e.jpgIMG_1651.jpg.97832a0b20520100fe22fa596a10a7df.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Edited by aba4430
  • Like 1