Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ251/25D hybrid

Original posting with backstory: 

timing belt jumped a few teeth headed up I-70 two days ago. Reset timing, and it runs well, but noticeable tick coming from the passenger side of the motor. That is the side that the belt skipped. Yet to do a compression test, but I wanted to know what my options are if a valve or two bent. I'm supposed to start grad school this coming Monday, and need to get from Denver to Las Vegas. I'm limited on time. 

If I don't fix the valves, what are the chances it eats the valves while driving down there? I know I can have a motor out and apart within 4 hours, but the time it takes to get parts and everything needed gets me down to the wire on being at school on time. If I can at least get it to Nevada, I have a garage that'll allow me time to fix it properly...

Thoughts? 

Edited by suprunner

if there's noise/symptom there now that absolutely wasn't there before - and given the trip you are planning, the risk of a major headache on the road in this car as it is now is WAY to high. Valves can easily burn/erode if they are leaking.

the key would be a GOOD diagnosis before anything else, but, be prepared for bad news and get Plan B set-up NOW.

time to call-in any favors or get some help from family, etc.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

5 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

if there's noise/symptom there now that absolutely wasn't there before - and given the trip you are planning, the risk of a major headache on the road in this car as it is now is WAY to high. Valves can easily burn/erode if they are leaking.

the key would be a GOOD diagnosis before anything else, but, be prepared for bad news and get Plan B set-up NOW.

time to call-in any favors or get some help from family, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I did a compression check. 3 attempts per cylinder. #1, #2, and #4 all had 190 psi, while cylinder #3 had 200. Vehicle runs and drives well. I spoke with a +20 year lead tech at a Subaru dealership in Golden. He said I'm most likely fine. My fingers are crossed. I will be in search of JDM timing belt covers from early-mid 90's. I've been told they have mounts for a timing belt guide on each upper cam. 

2 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

my WRX 5spd has 5 belt guards.

do you think your car rolled or was pushed in gear and caused the slip?

I think/hope at worst myself or fiancé downshifted too aggressively while under load. I was also recently told that you have to prime the TB tensioner before installation. News to me. I've done about 10 timing belts now, and I haven't had one fail...  it had been down in Denver for a couple nights... our last wagon looked as if it had gone through a war from all of the people that hit it while parked. So maybe that? What year is your 5speed? 

Greg

2006 WRX wagon

we have an 03 H6 Outback too.

Probably get my wife a new car in a year or 2, but, we don't NEED 3 cars, yet, I don't want to trade-in either of the present cars.....

never read about priming a tensioner, just warnings about re-compressing them too fast if re-using.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

12 hours ago, nvu said:

If it's not hard metal clacking chances are it might be a failing tensioner.  Take the covers off again and do the prybar trick to test.

I will try this. Although it is not a metallic and hard clack, it is a softer tick, that I feel like I can hear, isolated on the passenger side.

Greg

if the car has fuel 'dampeners' on the rails, they can tick on some cars. I've read you might be able to feel it, or, perhaps use some tubing to your ear and listen to various areas/parts?

also,  you might consider taking your time on getting the timing covers, some folks run 'naked'. it's scary looking but likely safe - even more so if you still have your undercover.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan