Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy Outback, Odometer/Speedometer intermittent

Just got a new subaru (new to me :)    1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 5MT  This is my 11th subaru I think (mostly 80's stuff, but also had some other legacies over the years).  It's already had a head gasket job done, and runs pretty good.  But, the odometer and speedometer are intermittent.  When they work, they work fine -- no wiggly needles or anything.  But then they just stop working sometimes (about 2/3 of the time it seems) -- odometer doesn't turn at all and speedometer stays at zero.   Any ideas on whether this is likely to be a cable issue, or in the gauge itself?  Driving on washboard for a few miles actually made it start working.   

Had to hit a few trails on the way home.  Nothing severe but it did pretty well.  New General Grabber AT2 tires, 205/75/R15.  Nice and quiet on the highway, and seem pretty good offroad too.

Thanks.

Zeke

IMG_6366.JPG

The '99 had an issues w/the gauges /  dash cluster. Search on the fix, which I believe involves soldering.

Also, the 5-speed may still use the same speedo sensor as older models that may wear out / break. It's on the passenger side near the gear oil dipstick. Looks like this and that tab on the end breaks off:

a_20160414_1156321842.png

Edited by wtdash
  • Like 1