Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why can't I find loaded struts for a 1995 Legacy L?

Hey all,

FNG here. My daughter inherited a 1995 Legacy L from my son and the struts are shot. It bounces so bad I won't let her drive it. My problem is I can't find a full set of loaded struts anywhere. Struts are no problem but I want springs, mounts, and all. Is there a reason no one seems to offer these or am I just to dumb to find them? I'm not interested in anything that will screw up the geometry and cause tire wear.

Thanks!

Too old and relatively uncommon. Car is 25 years old. It's basically an Antique. You are lucky you can get the individual peices still. Consumers aren't even buying struts (statistically) for a car that old. Who is going to spend $1k on a set of loaded assemblies for a $500 car? Most people with 95 Legacy's are looking for cheap Chinese stuff, or buying the best looking set they can find at the local pick-n-pull. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

you cant find them because they dont exist.

springs are most likely fine, unless they are broken, rear top mounts should also be fine.

KYB has top mounts (for front) and struts.

If you dont want to deal with compressing the springs when you get the new parts, pull the assemblies off the car and take the whole works to an independent shop and ask them to do it. One near us did the assemblies for the other half's 06 Outback for about $30

oh yeah, almost forgot.. the brake lines run through a small bracket on the struts.. to avoid opening the lines, pull the clip that holds the line in place, wiggle it free, and cut the outside edge of the bracket off to slip the rubber line through - we used bolt cutters to do this - just enough to get the line out.. same can be done to the new strut to put the line back - the clip will hold the line in place just fine on the new one.

Edited by heartless
  • Like 2

HI,

New: IMpreza (incl. WRX) from 2002-2007 will fit the '95+ Legacy, and there are 'quick struts' on Amazon (and likely Ebait)....can't comment on quality.

You may need to get 'saggy butt spacers' due to front to back height differences. 

Used: Subaru struts usually last a while. You can find the lowest mile used set @ your local yard or online (watch out for shipping costs)  from a '95- '99 Legacy or Outback.  The OB will lift it about 2+" but there in CO you might like the added ground clearance for thost West Slope (?) snow storms. :-)

25 minutes ago, Stevo F said:

I was looking for preloaded struts for my ‘98 with the same results- just no name junk available. I did come across some from Gabriel the other day, so I might look into those

Gabriels are pretty soft - if you like that, then they would be ok. Same for Monroes.

the best strut available new for a Subaru is KYB

14 hours ago, lmdew said:

Hit the self serve yards and pull a set of KYB struts, complete they are about $35 each.

Larry , if you find any like that and want to make some money , you know I’m a good customer. I’d gladly pay because there are NONE up here to choose from and if there were they’d be crap. Down your way and up in PNW area you can find cars that have replaced suspension and they’re good and not so ugly. Here they’d be rusted and I couldn’t trust anything from up this way that was under a car.

Contact me if you need to or just add a note for your next trip to the yards. 

Ours are 1992 Legacy FWD sedan , 1992 FWD wagon , and 1994 AWD 

1997 Outback still waiting to get on the road. That was riding well two plus years ago but keep an eye open for this one too.

Thanks man! 

If you can pull anything reasonable. And save any good top mounts , bearing , etc. 

Edited by moosens

On 7/6/2019 at 11:29 AM, heartless said:

Gabriels are pretty soft - if you like that, then they would be ok. Same for Monroes.

the best strut available new for a Subaru is KYB

I don't mind a soft ride for the Legacy. Right now you can feel every bump in the road so I'm thinking it need s suspension refresh.

I did put a new set of KYB's in the rear Impreza Outback Sport I used to have and it was a pretty firm ride (although the OBS has a firmer ride than the Legacy in general)

whatever works for you. I dont like the mushy feel of the Gabriel struts.

just discovered today that I need new struts on my Forester - leaking oil the fronts pretty badly, rears are little better, but not by much - it will be getting KYBs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heartless said:

just discovered today that I need new struts on my Forester - leaking oil the fronts pretty badly, rears are little better, but not by much - it will be getting KYBs

Don’t forget that aftermarket units are gas filled, OEM are oil filled ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Don’t forget that aftermarket units are gas filled, OEM are oil filled ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

so the 2002 Forester is still sitting on OEM struts at 251K - not too shabby, LOL :D

I have noticed that she has seemed a little "bouncier" lately, but a larger concern at the moment is the left front axle that needs to get changed out - before it falls apart. :unsure: Have ignored the clicking from it for far too long.

5 hours ago, Jadu108 said:

Rent the spring compressor and do it your self unfortunately. Or go to the Junk yard and pull some off a car.

we have our own spring compressor already ;) Have done the strut job on other vehicles in the past and we have it down pretty well now adays.. lol

I don't go used on things like struts, ball joints, etc.. new for me, please.

Parts like control arms, knuckles, even axles, things of that nature, yeah, used is the way to go, but things that are considered "wear" items, i put in new. I know a lot of folks are fine with used struts, and that is fine for them, not me. I want to do it once and be done for a long time. not have to do it again in 6 mos or a year when the used item gives out. I plan on keeping the car for a while yet, so I will spend the money on quality new parts.

Edited by heartless

I typically agree, but where im at, subarus in junk yards are numerous, and considering strut components swap up until late 00's depending on model of the donor(foresters and wrx), its not a bad way to go for me... i found some shocks barely worn in for 100$ on all 4... for a free car with dead struts with 240k on them. id say its a good fix for now :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jadu108 said:

I typically agree, but where im at, subarus in junk yards are numerous, and considering strut components swap up until late 00's depending on model of the donor(foresters and wrx), its not a bad way to go for me... i found some shocks barely worn in for 100$ on all 4... for a free car with dead struts with 240k on them. id say its a good fix for now :P

well, yeah, you guys up in the PNW are a bit luckier than we here in the midwest as far as all that goes.

I did put used Forester (had the car in the driveway) struts under my 95 Legacy but turned out they were shot already and I ended up buying all new - struts, springs, tophats - the works. Was well worth it tho. Loved the added height and being able to stuff the forester wheels on to boot.

• Like 1