Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simple question:

If the EJ head bolts are in good condition, haven’t been over heated etc, how many times can they be reused before new ones should be sourced and used? 

Engine in question is an EJ251 at the moment. 

Cheers 

Bennie

If the threads are good reuse them. Test them by spinning a nut on them to ensure smooth thread engagement. 

If reused so many times that it’s an issue, that raises a lot of questions about the integrity of the engine, history or maintenance. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, idosubaru said:

If the threads are good reuse them. Test them by spinning a nut on them to ensure smooth thread engagement. 

If reused so many times that it’s an issue, that raises a lot of questions about the integrity of the engine, history or maintenance. 

I’m very happy with this engine. The reason for the HG swap this time is to upgrade to the HGs with the part numbers as recommended by GD. I’m hoping this kills those stupid external leaks!

7 hours ago, Numbchux said:

As long as they're not corroded, they're good to go. Threads will pull out of the block before the bolts will stretch.

Thanks @Numbchux! This puts me back at ease with reusing the bolts. 

This vehicle is a country cruiser - it eats kilometres! So it’s not an all out powerhouse. 

Cheers 

Bennie