Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel stink and bubbling after parking XT-T

Does anyone have experience with their EA82 and XT giving off fuelly stink after driving? I also get the bubbling noises up near fuel cap and assuming it has something to do with the pollution fume tank hidden nearby.

If I tank fuel cap off, no real pressure but bubbling stops likely due to fumes able to escape up fuel filler pipe. Bubbling noises will resume soon after cap goes back on

Then we have the 4 hose charcoal cannister up front - a service replace item I bet no one ever replaced, betno one ever gets it on their dealer service either

I have one that looks the same, think it came from a 99 Impreza of mine. It has one fatter pipe blanked off from factory I guess. Going to just fit it up and see.

This blanked off ( on the random spare) section is the one that goes to intake ducting on the XT after the MAF

I have no idea where the fumes are exiting the vehicle

Any knowledge appreciated

I used to almost bathe in the stuff and now find the smell about as friendly as someone else's fart. Absolutely hate the smell. 

There are some pretty good diagrams of the emission circuit and components in the FSM . No mention of the location of a two way valve between the fume separator at the back to the charcan at the front.

The fuel cap also has some valving to check.

Every once in a while the ever so detailed manuals just miss tiny details - such as the 8 mm ID hose from the charcan cradle base tray to inside the chassis.

One thing at a time here, that hose will get plugged or redirected to vent outside my shed :(

There's a plastic tank behind rear panel near tank that can develop cracks & leaks, BUT, I would check out the small vacuum hoses connecting things together back there first.

When you get that tank out pull a partial vacuum with a hand held pump vacuum test to see if it holds vacuum well for 5-10 minutes. Mine held for hours without leaking.

Had that fuel smell 3 yrs ago inside the car & it was the little hoses that had rotted in LA smog.

Mityvac is what I used.

uVQ7iZ.jpgpnPyYnYzjpoZzhAmTj

Edited by czny

All EFI hose in fuel rail replaced back in 2011. It is more a fuel vapour pong not wet fuel leak. Must be time I get a Mighty Vac! Think I have wanted one since first time I saw one 33 years ago. Not something we trip over here in Oz but bet you can get one in Walmart right next to AC refrigerant top up kits.

CZ you reckon it is a vacuum hose or just a fuel hose capable of suck and blow? The FSM sort of suggests it is just an air transfer. I am gonna have go in gentle on the boot / trunk inner liners to have a look see. 

Yeah, fuel recovery system operates at a partial vacuum IIRC. Depends on fuel purge solenoid valve to either vent positive pressure to charcan or vent fumes to intake with vac.

That plastic bladder is for fumes to condense then drain back to tank. Otherwise liquid fuel could get sucked into intake.

Emission vacuum hose stock should do you well. Don't forget the little lines connected at tank.

It is this emission stuff - the plastic bladder, or vapour exchanger? that I guess is why filling instructions are not to fill tank beyond first click off of the filler nozzle. Guessing these can drown from an overfill. Mityvac are in Australia !

OK yeah the vacuum can come all the way from the intake via charcan. Glad you looked at the big picture CZNY

Something I need to check after I find the whump whump that feels like the boots are sick of sitting about too much or my centre bearing mount doing same. Meanwhile, her battery keeps going flat, been in my possession for eight years so not bad