Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza TSB 11-59-00 air intake chamber breakage

Hello, I recently bought my first Subaru, a 1999 Impreza Outback Sport. When looking it over I noticed a big long crack in a plastic box on the back of the engine that looks like a place where the air filter should be, but it isn't. I wondered how on earth someone could break something like that.   I subscribed to ALLDATAdiy and while looking for other information, I found a reference to TSB 11-59-00 that's about some kind of a problem that caused  'air intake chamber box breakage'.  Sounds like my car. The fix involves apparently adding a second air filter to that box (which is empty on my car) and upgrading the ecu.The info is very brief and I want to learn more about the problem. Does anyone out there know how to access TSB 11-59-00 in its entirety? I can only find brief summaries of it and offers to buy it. I want to know everything I can to understand what the problem was and if my car was ever fixed properly. Obviously no one ever added the air filter so I wonder if they ever updated the ecu and what the problem might be if they didn't. Searches for the updated ecu all come up with a discontinued part number. any and all help is greatly appreciated.