Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2003 USDM Legacy GT sedan Automatic. with a bad EJ25 non turbo.  I swapped to with an EJ203 non turbo JDM .  I changed over the intake manifold, and both cam gears, including the one and only cam sensor , also  the crank gear and sensor,  coolant crossover pipe (has a sensor in it).  EGR was easy swap  because the JDM also had one.    I went to start it and it runs very rough, and starts hard,  It has the following 3 codes,  P0118 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Curcuit High,  P0341  Cam Sensor A.  and P0032 Heater Control Circuit.  I triple checked everything and I did not miss any connections, or grounds.  I used a Gates Timing belt kit and oredered it as per the 2003 USDM.  I have done a few timing belts before on subarus.   This does not seem like a timing belt issue to me but I am a bit stumped.  Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

kinda wondering about a pinched harness or missing ground but, I dunno

temp sensor should be on the crossover pipe. Could be 1 sensor for gauge and ECU, 3pin-connector. If older style, there will be 2 sensors near ecah other, one with a single wire for the dash temp gauge, another for the ECU.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Ok,  Thanks , that what I was thinking as well.  I forgot to mention that when I first ran it I noticed that one of the main wiring harness (top grey one) was not fully pushed in.  It just needed a push to get that final click.  I then disconnected battery to try to "reset" the computer.  I hope I dod not damage anything by running car with that wiring harness not fully plugged in.  I double checked and all the grounds are clean and connected.  I will have to play around with it I guess.  THanks for your input, it is always apprectiated. 

If the JDM engine was 'bad' from the get-go, you may not be able to fix it - easily. They do occasionally have damaged JDM's get thru. A Compression test would help confirm.

Might want to pull a plug wire - one at a time - to see if the engine runs worse or same. IF it doesn't change then that cylinder is 'DOA'.

But I'd think you'd get a Misfire code on that cylinder if it was bad????

Hopefully one of the Mech/Tech guys will post up.....no offense to 1LuckyT.

The hard start and rough idle could be too much fuel. 

I suspect you’re using the injectors from the EJ25, on start up a rich fuel mixture is used to help aid starting. This extra shot combined with the smaller engine capacity could cause an over fuelling situation which wouldn’t be great when starting. 

As for the codes, if the temp sensor was dropped or knocked when swapped with the coolant crossover pipe it could’ve died, especially if it was already hanging in there by a thread so to speak. The other codes, best of luck with those I’m sorry. 

Sometimes you might get lucky and have one code sorted and the rest follow suit... it doesn’t always happen, but it can at times. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Does the Temp gague on the dash seem to be working normally?  

The reason I ask, is that he 3 pin Temp sensor is traingular, and if it somehow connected rotated to the wrong side (shouldn't be possible, but the tabs get broken)  Then the CTS temp signal would be off and give you the code.  

Or is it possible you have swapped connectors for the Crank and Cam sensor?

Thanks for everyones input.  I noticed that it will only start if I hold the pedal to the floor, and this takes about 5 to 8 seconds of cranking.   I have a local Subaru guru who has done this swap many times come out and take a look.  He is very busy so I may have to wait a while.   Is it possible to swap crank and cam sensors?  Are they the same size and connectors? 

• 2 months later...