Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sticker removal

Hmmmm....    heat might help, just have to be careful not to go high enough to damage the paint.

One of those scraper things that uses a single edge razor blade might help with lifting it, but again, great care not to dig into the paint.

Ypu might get the plastic sticker off, leaving the glue / adhesive.  At least then, a solvent could get at it.  It would take experimenting to find some thing that melts the adhesive without attacking the paint. 

A garment/clothes steamer works a treat usually to get the bulk of it off and then a product called "Oomph" is great to finish off with to remove the sticky residue. Not sure what the equivalent would be called over there.

The steamer is also the best way of removing old window tint as well.

Cheers,

Al

• Like 1

The organic way: try peanut butter or vegetable oil. Let it sit on the decal for an hour or so to soak in. Then it should rub right off with your fingers. Or a paper towel. Give the area a good washing before trying to apply the new decal.

Thanks for the ideas. I tried some of these but it's almost like its baked on. It's no longer a sticker and more like a thousand little paint chips.

I have a rubber wheel at work I'm going to try. Maybe put a bunch of goof off on there and let it soak then hit it with the wheel.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:23 AM, Steptoe said:

A caramel wheel is often handy. Caramel coloured rubber buffer wheel with sacrificial rubber but go lightly or can burn paint off

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiFzKTYn7fjAhVewMQHHZpJAxQQFjAHegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.3m.com%2F3M%2Fen_US%2Fcompany-us%2Fall-3m-products%2F~%2F3M-Stripe-Off-Wheel%2F%3FN%3D5002385%2B3293162209%26rt%3Drud&usg=AOvVaw2yqgIQXb3Vxu5J0DCoaM-j

This works really well, been using one to remove pin stripes and adhesive foams from my fleet.

I tried to get mine off years ago, and finally did with some persistance.

But.........

Years of being applied has somewhat etched the design into the paint itself. Even after I got it off, the indentations were still there. I did apply a new sticker over it, but it was a real pain in the ...

Edited by Checkerboard Comet

Maybe the best way is to smooth it out so there is not even a hint of a crumble sticking up and then apply the new decal over it. As long as you had gotten the surface perfectly smooth. 

You could tape off a big frame around and then use whatever is non-destructive to "sand' it smooth.