Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After a (failed - no wind) sailing trip to BC a couple of weeks ago, I renewed my search for an H6 Outback because with the four of us, the (pretty light) boat, and all our gear, my '99's freshly-rebuilt-and-running-great EJ25 was really struggling to maintain 90km/hr through the mountain steeps.

Scored an '01 for $500 CAD (about $400 USD):  Only 233K km, engine and drivetrain seem really solid, tires less than a year old, body a little nasty.  A minor front end incident deprived it of bumper and grille and damaged the headlights and hood - but nothing that a couple of hundred bucks at the wrecker shouldn't set right.  Severe wheel well rust.  There's other little $h!t to deal with - missing exhaust donut, leaky AC, nonworking CD, and ugly-feeling brakes - but I feel pretty good about it.  Except for the stupid locks on two of the wheels - creepy little Simbolz items that I hope a shop with the right extractor can relieve me of.

Subaru-specifics aside, nobody told me that having a family meant signing up as a fleet mechanic...

• Like 2

Ooof that's not great. I assume there's rust holes on the rockers by the dog legs when you open the rear doors? One of my H6 wagons originally came from Pennsylvania (which is a salt state) and looked similar. Drove great though.

8 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

Btw, we're seriously thinking of selling our '99 OBW in Montana, where you're crazee for these things.

If it's rusty or has issues I wouldn't waste your time. There's a lot of clean 1st gen Outbacks available (some without motor issues) and they sell for cheap. Even 2nd gens are cheap and plentiful.