Ultimate Subaru Message Board

im possibly going to be picking up a free 1998 imprezza outback tomarrow im told it overheats. i dont want to use this engine i have another car with sevear rust issues i will be using that cars engine. is there anything i can do to make the car run without overheating for maby 10 to 15 miles?

well i attempted to drive it and only made it 2 miles to my dads house instead of the 13 miles to where it needed to go it was overheating thanks traffic. ended up getting it aaa towed the rest of the way. it ran like crap too and was also smoking out the exhaust thankfully im not using that engine if i fix the car. next day im not working im planning to get back over to the car and get underneath it and inspect it for major rust as long as theres not any its getting built up in place of my current outback.

Open the vent cap in the  passenger side top of radiator.  1~2 turns, just enough to vent.

Keeps the exhaust gas pressure from building up and causing an air pocket.

Leaving the rad cap loose will have same affect sometimes I'll do both.  

You will leak a little dribble of coolant, but it should keep it from pressurizing to the point of boil-over.