Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which year Outback is "best"? ie reliable, dependable, low upkeep

After 25 years of driving Loyale wagons, it's time for a new car. I'm considering a 5th generation Outback, but not really sure what year to go with, as they all seem to have different issues.   I'm looking for a long term car (hoping to drive it 10+ years and get 200,000 out of it), so my main concern is reliability and keeping maintenance and repair costs down. With that in mind, are there certain years/configurations that stand out as more dependable/less expensive than others? Any particular years/configurations that really suck and should be avoided? (what are the issues that model has?)
I'm not worried about 2.4 vs 3.6 engine as either is acceptable after driving the 1.8 for years. Don't care what bells and whistles it has, my main focus is being dependable and not facing major repair expenses like replacing the transmission. Is there a particular year(s) where the CVT seems more reliable than others? That seems to be a major problem with the current Outbacks.
Please let me know where your knowledge/experience comes from ie an owner of said model (or of multiple models), a mechanic, sales manager, etc. I'd like to see what people in the trenches with hands on knowledge and experience think vs all the marketing fluff put out by Consumer Reports, Motortrend and the like.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Buy the newest you can afford, but leave room for a repair.

My faith in Subarus has waned over the past few years, so i'm a bit of a 'devils advocate'.....do your research, make sure to get a PPI/Buyer's Inspection, Autocheck/Carfax (see attached for cheap links I've used),  and one-owner w/maintenance records is worth a premium, too.

I've recently 'converted' to a believer in extended warranties due to the complexity of newer vehicles, but prefer the Manufacturer version vs. the 3rd-party, potentially 'fly-by-night', versions. If you're buying a 'CPO' from a a dealer they should be available. You can potentially get (buy)  peace of mind to 100K. 200K? Maybe.

VIN.JPG.a0eac471ef2b6a4814b5a1d65f061379.JPG

Edited by wtdash

What he said with the 2016+.   If rust is any issue, favor newer cars, that's usually the long term issue and i see swiss cheese every time I drive to Canton, Ohio which has issues Cincy doesn't. 

1. H6 engines with the 5EAT transmission (which I think is all 2005-2014 6 cylinder Outbacks)

2. 2016+ 

3. 2009 4 cylinders with properly addressed headgaskets (resurfaced heads, new Subaru gaskets) and timing belt (subaru belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump).