Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member: CVT Interchangeability between models

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum. I have owned my 2013 Outback Base since new. We are at 140,000 miles now, and last week, the transmission started making a noise that sounds like a bad wheel bearing. But the noise is coming from the transmission. I'm guessing that it's getting time to look for a replacement CVT. New one cost $5k+ just for the unit, so I'm definitly trying to find a low-mileage used one. 

Now here are my really nerdy questions:

• Can I use the CVT out of a Legacy or a Forrester? 
  • Even though my car is a 2013, could I use the CVT out of a 2014? I ask this because it openes up my oprtion. PLUS I read that the CVTs built after Jan 1 2014, came with the improved torque converter.

Thanks!

Hi,

Is this your trans ID ??- usually on the bellhousing / back of engine: TR580KHDBA

Or posted on the door jam or (used to be) by the driver's strut tower under the hood.

Found it on ebay, and search online only shows 2013 interchange on a Subaru parts website: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2013_Outback-Limited/AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-ASSEMBLY-TR580KHDBA/49239603/31000AJ140.html

Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT Base 2013
Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT Limited 2013
Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT Limited w/EyeSight 2013
Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT Plus 2013
Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT Premium 2013
Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT Premium w/EyeSight 2013

Doesn't mean it won't work from something older/newer, but you'd want to dig a little deeper. I'd be more cautious about something this (relatively) new and its interchange options.

Used seem to be going for $2500.  check out car-part.com for other used as well. Saw some there w/less than 100K on your side of the US.

Edited by wtdash
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

get it diagnosed, maybe it's a front diff side-bearing?

I was hoping. But I put it on my friend's lift, and we ran it up to about 20 mph and put the poor mechanic's stethascope (long pry bar held up the ear) up to the diff, the sides where the axle shafts come out, and the sump pan on the transmission. The noise was much louder on the bottom of the trans pan. I'm trying to find someone around here who specializes in Subaru to give me a real diagnosis. In the meantime, I have started looking at what my options are.

Edited by Hans747

1 hour ago, wtdash said:

Hi,

Is this your trans ID ??- usually on the bellhousing / back of engine: TR580KHDBA Or posted on the door jam or (used to be) by the driver's strut tower under the hood.

Doesn't mean it won't work from something older/newer, but you'd want to dig a little deeper. I'd be more cautious about something this (relatively) new and its interchange options.

Used seem to be going for $2500.  check out car-part.com for other used as well. Saw some there w/less than 100K on your side of the US.

Yes, that's the same code inside my passenger side door. (I never knew that. Thnaks!) 

Anyway, I h ave been shopping around on car-parts.com, and that's the reason I'm asking. If I expand my search to 2014 Legacy, there are some options nearby that have less than 30,000 miles for under $1000. That would be great if I could get a low-mileage trans WITH the improved torque converter.

at NASIOC there are some regional sub-forums concerning vendors and shops - --,too bad, it does seem like you did proper diagnosis so, good luck on the trans swap.

I think I have seen some users at subaruoutback.org from your neck of the woods - maybe ask for a shop recommendation over there?

Yeah, I'm starting to look around. To be honest, we've had to do very little for this car besides DIY maintenance, so i don't have a good network of Subaru techs in my phone. I will ask around. might even take it to the local dealer. But to be honest, their parts dept does not impress me.  

BTW, you have helped me with other past questions on SubaruOutback.org recently. I appreciate your help!

I try, I've read a lot but really only have experience with my 2 subarus.

And I also live where there's very little in the way of subaru-experienced shops. Until the last 5 years or so, Subarus were uncommon here. No snow, no mountains, etc, I guess.

And, I either have 2 very long drives to get to a shop I trust, or would need to go to a dealer.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan