Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poll: EA82 Rear Coilovers - How Do You Mount Yours?

I'm currently installing a set of coilovers on my 1987 GL 3-door and I was curious how other folks mount the rear coilovers in their EA82s.  I've seen them installed using a mishmash of OEM and aftermarket parts, but that seems like it not only increases the ride height, but could potentially snap the shock shaft.

So, what do you folks do?  I've got a few ideas of my own, but I'm interested to see your solutions.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:38 AM, Len Dawg said:

I got kyb and they actually seem shorter on my wagon by 1/2 inch or more because the new rubber isolators were too big. So had to reuse the old ones..

Is your car running coilovers, or KYB replacement struts?

It probably depends considerably on the design of the coilover. Yes, it's best to keep that bushing in there, as the factory geometry will put strain on the shock shaft otherwise.

Suberdave has some good info on his website here: http://wordpress.suberdave.com/?page_id=54 It looks like the Tein system has a long enough shaft to maintain the bushing. But you can see he had to adjust those coilovers way down to make up for the mounting modification.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ferp420 said:

im running nissan 300 zx front struts on the rear of my loyale they have a 5/8" shaft and 6" of traval i use the stock loyale top hats and springs

Did you punch out the hole in the OEM top hat?  IIRC the original shock has an M12 shaft and you're running basically an M16 with those Nissan shocks.  Are those factory replacement Z32 shocks, or aftermarket coilovers?

Edited by carfreak85

On 7/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, carfreak85 said:

Did you punch out the hole in the OEM top hat?  IIRC the original shock has an M12 shaft and you're running basically an M16 with those Nissan shocks.  Are those factory replacement Z32 shocks, or aftermarket coilovers?

yes i drilled the top hat and used the nissans washers to lock it in place  they were stock struts  as far as i know

they came off a 90 model i think it was a crossover year but im sure it was the 90s and up

Edited by ferp420