Ultimate Subaru Message Board

impreza gearbox conversion problem

impreza

hello everyone...

i have an impreza 2008 hatchback 2.0L 4x4 that i converted from 4 speed AT to 5 speed manual.

i solved all the mechanical adaption challenges and the car is driving...

my problem is with the throttle, it doesn't open over 30% (opens 100% and immediately closes 70%) .It is  actually stuck in safe mode and accelerates slowly because  the AT gearbox is disconnected.

i replaced the ecu with the complete lock set (ecu, body control unit, instrument panel, keys & switch) taken from the same model but with a manual gearbox.

unfortunately it doesn't help and the issue remains the same, the clutch and neutral switches are also missing... my suspicion is the harnesses are different between AT & MT models.

when connecting lunch diagnostic to OBD the trouble code is: P0600 serial communication link...

I would appreciate any advice to solve this problem 

You’re going to have to trick the ECU to think that the auto is still there I reckon. I know this works on earlier models but really don’t know with the later stuff. 

Why didn’t you just swap for a manual vehicle? 

Cheers 

Bennie

9 hours ago, impreza said:

hi benny.  i dident swap to manual car because they almost dont exist in in our country... 

Fair enough! 

Do some google searches, I’m sure it’s been documented somewhere as to how you trick the ECU. Otherwise the other way to go is aftermarket ECU if you’re that way inclined. Tunability goes through the roof. 

Cheers 

Bennie