Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello all new to the group need some help with my timing belt purchase 

have an 08 legacy 2.5 thinking of going with this one 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7215420&cc=1440455&jsn=3

my question is i see some  of the  kits come with the belt tensioner and some also come with Hydraulic Actuator what the difference or do i need both ?  i have a base 2.5i pzev .

any help would be great thanks

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Better to buy the individual pieces. NSK, NTN, Koyo, Aisin, and Mitsuboshi. 

GD

+1

and make sure you get a metal stamped gasket for the water pump.  Atsugi is a common "box" name brand that sells the OE "Paraut" water pump w/ metal gasket.

FWIW, I usually do not replace the tensioner. Saves $150+ bucks.   It's large roller never fails, it's always the smaller ones that fail.  Usually the cogged one.  I on;y replace the tensioner if the hydraulic piston is visibly leaking or otherwise damaged, not expanding properly, etc...If that looks fine I re-use the tensioner.

Our experience is that the tensioner piston may not make it to the 2nd belt interval even if it's visually ok. We always replace 100% of the timing components. 

The Aisin pumps always come with the metal gasket. Sometimes the NPW one's do also. We stock the factory ones in case. Sometimes we can't get an Aisin pump and have to use NPW. 

GD

• Like 1

Yeah, I get it.  It put's me on the hook for a warranty claim.  That's Ok.  Worst case I buy one of my nice customers a free valve job and headgasket change !  lol.

It just makes the difference between a ~$400 service, and a ~$600 one.  In the customer's mind, that's a 50% higher cost for the customer for ONE part that seldom fails.  That $200 difference can put someone off of even doing any Timing Service, or at least delay it and that's a worse risk than the tensioner.

And with a known new belt if it does start to fail it should make noise but hold until customer brings it back.

Only had it happen once, and the car made it back to my shop with the tensioner slapping, and I replaced the tensioner under warranty.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 6:21 PM, FerGloyale said:

Only had it happen once, and the car made it back to my shop with the tensioner slapping, and I replaced the tensioner under warranty.

same here - i've seen one as well. it was running, driving, and slapping and i replaced it with no damage.  it was at least loud enough most people aren't going to wait long to address it!  i'm sure that can't be expected every time but at least it's rare and not always ominous. 

I usually replace it all - but as a rule I only work for free, so my "customers" gladly pay for the parts.  If it's a rusty swiss cheese car and/or they're not financially stable, I'll do the belt and lower cogged idler only. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

When you're dealing with customers driving late model modified STi's you can't take that risk. The clientele that's looking to save $200 on a timing belt job don't usually even bring their car here - I have enough trouble with people that get overly sensitive about watching the DAM on their access port and call me immediately if it drops down to 0.9

I get it. I work on some vehicles like that. Used to work on a lot more but rising overhead and now being a mainstream shop that charges very near industry average hourly rate.... it's not how I want to be percieved by my customers. When we go in there we replace all wear items. And the tensioner is a wear item. They can and do fail. It's the same reason I use a $750 Snap-On digital torque wrench.... perception. People expect a higher level of work from us, just as they expect to see me and my tech's using tools they don't have at home.

If the customer is budget limited I have financing available, or sometimes if it's a real basket case or the customer is just down on their luck I will put in some lightly used parts to help them out. We do this type of stuff for people. We highly advise against it and they are warned up front that it's a temporary fix.

But for the general public that intends to maintain their car on the Subaru reccomended interval... well the price is (currently) $950 for the typical SOHC timing belt job and they should have known they needed to budget for this long in advance. It's not a repair. It's scheduled maintenance. 

GD

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

or sometimes if it's a real basket case or the customer is just down on their luck

i try to decline the former and accept the latter.  hahahahaaa. 

wait - "basketcase" of a car or customer?  i guess it reads as the car, but i was thinking 'customers'...

Edited by idosubaru

39 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

i try to decline the former and accept the latter.  hahahahaaa. 

wait - "basketcase" of a car or customer?  i guess it reads as the car, but i was thinking 'customers'...

Oh yeah. We have both. I haven't had to fire many customers (or employees for that matter) but it has happened. I once packed a customer's dissasembled turbo engine into the back of his Forester and told him to F*ck right off my property. That guy took it to another shop I know, they performed the improper repair that he asked me to perform (which I refused to do) and a few months later that engine blew up and he was back in there blaming them for screwing it up and threatening legal action. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

I didn't see any kits on RockAuto for your vehicle with a hydraulic actuator which are used in second generation legacies/outbacks. They all have a hydraulic tensioner which fits your vehicle.

On the older legacies a separate hydraulic actuator is used to push the tensioner pulley. On your Subaru it is an all-in-one part as pictured in the kit.

• Like 1