Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick strut source or convert to shock?

20 hours ago, 1997reduxe said:

I could be wrong but i looked at rockauto even and it seems kyb sells them complete

for 97

A605C48A-DEE7-423B-AFDE-57EFD815C8AC.png

Unfortunately it appears this is simply a generic ad but not at all relevant to the 97 OBW. I've seen dozens of these ads in my search for a "quick strut" for the 97 OBW but not a single one of them were reputable and compatible.

11 minutes ago, bstone said:

Are you trying to teach us how to google?  C'mon man don't condescend us.

Besides, searching that way yields NOTHING!  So what's your point?

Sorry man, but there is no "strut delete kits" offered for subaru.

Just buy a damn set of KYBs and rent a compressor.  Or have a shop do it.  Those are the options.  You've got the info you need.  If you still need to argue with someone about something try a political forum.

23 minutes ago, bstone said:

On 7/22/2019 at 4:08 PM, Numbchux said:

Google search for "strut delete" shows nothing like you describe on the first page.

Here's a sweet hint about LMGTFY, check the results to make sure it actually supports your own point.

Not so in this case, it continues to stack evidence that this is not a thing. Add quotes to it so that google searches it as a phrase, and there's some mention of a Polaris Ranger with a ridiculous lift but no details, and quickly devolves to modifying hellcat airdams, and hatch strut deletes....

I'll admit, I'm far from perfect and definitely don't know everything, so maybe you'll teach me something. But Parts has been my career for about 10 years, some of which at a Subaru dealership, and I've driven almost exclusively neglected Subarus for much longer. If something like this existed, I think I'd know.

And you come across as such a lazy, condescending ***, I don't mind calling you out on it. Don't like it? Change it.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/macpherson-strut-to-top-wishbone-conversion/ 

here’s the link to the strut delete I was talking about ages ago - used strictly for racing and jumping HIGH! 

Strut and spring swap would be so much easier! Even if you built your own spring compressor like what’s shown in the video posted earlier. 

If you got separate strut and spring orders in, your probably have it all put together by now! 

Cheers 

Bennie

16 hours ago, el_freddo said:

http://offroadingsubarus.com/macpherson-strut-to-top-wishbone-conversion/ 

here’s the link to the strut delete I was talking about ages ago - used strictly for racing and jumping HIGH! 

Strut and spring swap would be so much easier! Even if you built your own spring compressor like what’s shown in the video posted earlier. 

If you got separate strut and spring orders in, your probably have it all put together by now! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yea, I've seen stuff like that done a 2 or 3 times. Obviously an enormous amount of custom fab work, and usually requires a considerable body lift to make room for upper control arm mounts. Pretty awesome stuff, but hardly a feasible option for a typical street car.

17 hours ago, bstone said:

Thank you to all who posted replies. I request this thread be locked. Good evening to all.

What option did you choose to go with?  The newer assemblies for the fronts would be easiest, and only new/assembled option, rears don't have any options like that.